Monday, June 4, 2007

Social Life

Tonight I went out with a friend of mine from high school. We haven't lived in the same city since 2001, but somehow we have managed to stay pretty close, which is more than I can say for most of my friends from high school, unfortunately.
She's a newlywed; I was a bridesmaid at her wedding in December. She and her husband live in Chicago now so I'm grateful that she just happened to be visiting town while I'm here, too.
I spent the night hanging out with her and her husband and another girl I haven't seen since high school, and we had a great night.
I realize that they're still very much in the honeymoon phase and that I can make no real judgment about their marriage based on one night of talking and laughing at a bar. But I will say that I like her husband, very much. I like him for HER. She's completely herself with him, they seem to have a wonderful time together, and they're just a great couple. I don't feel like a third wheel with them at all, they are genuinely fun to be around. I can't think of another couple that I have that much fun with. There are other couples that I like, sure, but I don't like any other couple as much as I like these two together. They give me faith that a marriage can be strong and beneficial to both parties, that it's not a dying institution. That makes me happy.

I also felt the need to write about tonight because it's quite possibly the only time I will go out with friends the entire time I am here in my hometown for the summer. It really is too bad they live in Chicago. I hate to be pessimistic, but I just don't think the odds are that great that I'll have a rolicking social life this summer. At least tonight was lots of fun.

Maybe I'll make friends at work...

P.S.-In spite of the slightly morose-sounding predictions, I'm actually kind of having fun here at home so far. I'm having fun with my parents and my brother, and I'm not terribly upset at the idea of not having a social life for a while. I'm kind of a low-key girl, I really won't mind if that actually does end up being the case.

1 comment:

Vik Rajagopalan said...

Quite interesting posts you got in here.. just thought i would comment on one of these so that you can follow the bread crumbs, if you want to.

more later .. have a good smart weekend and a bartending gig!