Friday, June 29, 2007

Mostly About Alcohol

So every time I'm at work and I have to restock the Miller Lite bottles, as I'm getting the case out of the walk-in fridge I think to myself, "Meeler Lite!" Or, even more accurately, "Mee-ler Lite." Like...like how Speedy Gonzalez would say "Miller Lite", if that was something he actually said.
It has become a compulsion, I think this to myself every single time I restock the bottles. Where did this come from? I'm sure my brain didn't just make it up by itself and it had to have come from somewhere, but where?

To change the subject completely, I'm already starting to get a little concerned thinking about all the stuff I have to do before moving to University Land. I keep thinking I have all the time in the world, but really, I only have a little over a month. I started to make a list of all the stuff I have to do in that month, but I realized halfway through that the list would be interesting and useful only to me. Suffice it to say, I need to figure out quite a few things before this moving adventure is over.
I keep going back and forth about this whole thing. Some days I feel confident that I will succeed and earn the Ph.D. and even be happy while I'm doing it, and other days I'm afraid I won't even make it until December, possibly because that's about the time I'll run out of money for anything other than rent.

Finally, on yet another completely unrelated note, a group of women at the bar today told me I make the best margarita they've ever had. I personally believe that what makes a good margarita is purely a matter of personal opinion, but I was flattered nonetheless. If you're like me and you prefer your margaritas more sour than sweet, try it my way:
-Shot of tequila
-About half as much triple sec as tequila
-Sweet and sour mix to just about fill up the glass
-A couple of generous splashes of fresh lime juice (this is the key, I think)
-A splash of orange juice (slightly less OJ than lime juice)
-Pour it all into a shaker with ice, shake it up until it's good and frothy, then pour the whole shaker, ice and all, into a salt-rimmed glass.

These are pretty delicious, although I still think the best margaritas ever were these things my roommate and I used to make in college. Her mom gave us the recipe and the name, Scream and Get Naked Margaritas. They made many a successful party appearance over the years and--fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you think about it--they often lived up to their name, because if there's any liquor that's gonna get me wild and naked, it's tequila. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the recipe. I do know they had to be made in bulk, though (all the better for parties) and involved a bottle of Mexican beer, a can of frozen limeade, tequila, and Sprite. In fact, maybe those are all of the ingredients, I just don't remember the proportions. I have this vague memory of Lizzy and I using equal parts tequila and limeade, but surely that's not actually the case, because that would have made one hell of a tequila-y margarita. Then again, maybe that's what led to the name Scream and Get Naked Margaritas.

Anyway, I hope you all have a fun reason to enjoy some margaritas this weekend. I know with three days off work and Maddi coming to town, I certainly do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

-1 bottle of corona light
-1 can of diet sprite
-1 can of lime juice concentrate (the frozen stuff)
-fill the empty can of lime juice with about 2/3-3/4 tequila
-pour into pitcher over ice, stir, drink...
-scream and get naked.

good times with the margaritas.

what's my code name???

kym-to-tha-bo

p.s. my code name better not be kym-to-tha-bo. :)