Sunday, January 20, 2008

Just Waaaaasting Time

Do you know how I know I have way too much free time right now? Because I spent an embarrassingly large portion of my weekend watching the entire series of Bring it On movies. Did you know there was a whole series? I didn't, until my sister clued me in. Apparently numbers two through four have all gone directly to DVD/ABC Family, and rightfully so.
There's the original, of course, which I'm only slightly ashamed to admit I actually like. True, it does star Kirsten Dunst and I've never understood her appeal at all because she can't really act and I don't think she's particularly attractive. She has weird teeth and the Worst Hair in Hollywood (really, have you noticed? It's like...really fine or something, it always looks bad unless she has it pulled up) but it's an entertaining movie. So I watched it yesterday.
And then Bring it On Again came on. Or at least I think it's called Bring it On Again. It has some kind of dumb name like that. Whatever its name is, it is absolutely one of the worst movies I have ever seen, ever. Not that I was expecting it to be good, but it was really just unbelievably stupid. About the time that the college dean became concerned with the cheerleading squad, I became enraged at the entire premise and I opted to quit watching and clean my apartment instead.
The third one, Bring it On: All or Nothing was all about the white girl who has to transfer to the mostly-black school and join their squad. So think about every possible race cliche, and you pretty much have the plot of the movie. It involved trying out for an audition to be on TV with Rihanna, who must have been quite concerned in 2005 that her career wasn't going anywhere. I was able to actually sit through most of the third one, though, if only to make fun of it with my sister via text message.
And now I'm watching the fourth (yes, FOURTH) installment. It's called Bring it On: In it to Win It. So far, it seems to be West Side Story With Cheerleaders. The teams are even named the Sharks and the Jets, a reference that I'm sure is being missed by every tween currently watching this nonsense. Ooh, and now they just referenced A Chorus Line. Someone likes musicals.
Why have I been watching this trash all weekend? Because I'm hibernating. The weather icon on my computer says it's 18 degrees outside right now, and it's windy. Yesterday wasn't any better, so I've really had no desire to leave my apartment except when it's absolutely necessary to take the dog out. I did clean my apartment, and I worked out both yesterday and today. Other than that, I haven't left my couch. I have magazines, blogs, leftover Christmas candy, chai tea, fuzzy socks, and crap TV. It was the recipe for a relaxing weekend.

Really, it has been a great weekend altogether. I did end up going out to see that show on Thursday night, and it was great! The staging wasn't quite as stunning as Metamorphoses, but it was still a highly enjoyable show. I would pay to see it again, and you all know that's pretty much the highest compliment I can give a show or movie. It was a fun night out, too. A group of six of us ended up going, a good mixture of people that get along well but don't get together often, and we rounded out the night by hanging out at an Irish pub for a while.
Then on Friday I spent the day with Stacy and Nicole. As planned, we went to a nearby town described on stupid tourist shirts as "A charming drinking town with a sailing problem." Ha. We drooled over all the Navy boys around town (well, Nicole and I did; Stacy is a lesbian and prefers her women rather femme), spent far too many hours in another Irish pub (it was Irish pub weekend, apparently), and then finished off the night with wine at Stacy's. I brought my dog over to meet her dogs, and they got along quite well, which means maybe she can dogsit for me when I go to my conference next month. Yay!

Anyway, the plan is to continue hibernating until Tuesday at 1:00, when I have to go to my masterclass. But then its right back into hibernation for another five days. Sweet. I don't really feel like starting school again...

No comments: