Sunday, January 27, 2008

It's Been Awhile Since I Did A Meme

Because I'm bored, but not bored enough to go to bed yet, here's a meme that has been going around. It's about my house, so it won't really be interesting, but I have nothing better to do (or rather, I have better things to do, I just don't feel like doing them):

When you walk in your front door, which room do you enter?
The living room. You actually walk pretty much right into the back of my sofa because its sort of angled away from the wall

Do you have a dishwasher?
Yes.

Is your living room carpeted or does it have hardwood floors?
It's carpeted with beige berber carpeting. Typical generic apartment flooring. My dream house will definitely have hardwood floors, though, because I feel like I could vacuum every day and still never get all of the pet hair off the carpet.

Do you keep your kitchen knives on the counter or in a drawer?
My cooking knives are in a block in a cabinet, the other knives are in a drawer with the rest of my silverware.

House, apartment, duplex or trailer?
Apartment

How many bedrooms is it?
One

Gas stove or electric?
Electric.

Do you have a yard?
No, but I have a good-sized balcony with a table and a couple of chairs, and I'm thinking of maybe growing some herbs out there when it gets warmer (although frankly, I'll be surprised if I can actually keep a plant alive). Also, my apartment backs up onto a big lake with a mile-long path around it, and in some ways I like that better than a yard. But I have to admit, when it's freezing cold or really hot outside, I often wish I could just open the door and let the dog go out into a yard by himself.

What size TV is in the living room?
I have no idea. 30 inches maybe? It's plenty big enough for me, that's all I know.

Are your plates in the same cupboard as your cups?
No. Plates are with bowls, cups are by themselves.

Is there a coffee maker sitting on your kitchen counter?
I don't own a coffee maker since I don't really like coffee and very rarely drink it.

What room is your computer in?
It's a laptop and I have wireless internet in my apartment, so I take it all over the place. Its home is on my coffee table in the living room and I usually use it sitting on my couch, but sometimes I use it at my desk in my little office nook and every now and then I get in bed with it.

Are there pictures hanging in your living room?
Yes. I have four framed record albums from musicals (A Chorus Line, South Pacific, My Fair Lady, and Anything Goes), and a sort of abstract painting of Times Square on a rainy night that I bought at an art show when I was in college. In my office area, which is technically a part of my living room, I have that poster with the big black cat and the French words that pretty much every female college student in America had in her dorm room because they sell it at Michaels (I keep meaning to look for something else to go in that spot, actually, since I'm sort of tired of that poster, but it matches my decor and I'm too lazy to actively look for something else). Oh, and I finally hung up my two diplomas and the plaque I got for being the outstanding graduate student in my MA program. I felt like kind of a douche hanging up my diplomas, but I need the inspiration and it seems stupid not to display them until I have a real office (which is what I was originally waiting for).

Are there any themes found in your home?
Themes? No. I mean, I sort of have color themes. My kitchen decor is all yellows, blues, and greens, my bedroom is steel blue and red (very much like the colors of this blog, actually), and my living room is mostly chocolate brown and red. I like dark, rich shades in general. Oh, wait, my bathroom does have a palm tree theme! I have palm tree shower curtain hooks, a couple of drawings of palm trees, and a palm tree night light that I never use but plug in because it looks cute.

What kind of laundry detergent do you use?
Gain. I like Apple Mango Tango!

Do you use dryer sheets?
Yup.

Curtains in your home?
I don't have any curtains, just the blinds that came with the apartment.

What color is your fridge?
White, but it has several goofy magnets on it and a paw print painting that my dog made at a canine carnival last year. Yes, really.

Is your house clean?
Yes, by pretty much anyone's standards. I have a really hard time focusing when my space is messy, so I straighten up the apartment pretty much every night and spend about an hour or two really cleaning it every Friday or Saturday (clean the toilet and bathtub and sink, dry and wet Swiffer the tile floors, clean the kitchen surfaces, vacuum, and dust). Some people seem to think I'm crazy for cleaning like that every week, but I just feel so much more relaxed and comfortable in a clean and organized space. It only takes an hour or two out of my week, and I'd rather do it this way than have to spend an entire day cleaning and organizing every few months. Plus I never have to worry about unexpected guests.

What room is the most neglected?
No space in the apartment is really neglected. My outdoor storage closet is a bit of a mess 'cause I tend to just throw stuff in there, but I know what's in there and its mostly stuff I only need a few times a year, so as long as I don't have to look at the mess every day I'm okay with it.

Are the dishes in your sink/dishwasher clean or dirty?
There are no dishes in my sink since I'm pretty good about putting everything in the dishwasher right away. Actually, that's something I've never really understood: why do people with dishwashers let the dishes pile up? It takes like, 2 seconds longer to put the dishes in the dishwasher instead of setting them in the sink. I understand dishes piling up if there's no dishwasher, I guess, and I will sometimes leave a pot or pan in my sink soaking for a few hours before I clean it since not everything fits in the dishwasher. But I've never been one of those people who leaves the breakfast dishes in the sink for three days. That doesn't surprise you though, does it? Oh, and the dishes in my dishwasher are dirty right now since I only run it when it gets full and since I live alone, that means I run it only once or twice a week.

How long have you lived in your home?
It will be six months on February 9th, but it feels like I've been here for years.

Where did you live before?
In an apartment that was actually very much like this one, just a tiny bit smaller.

Do you have one of those fluffy toilet lid covers on your toilet?
I do have a toilet lid cover, but I wouldn't call it fluffy...

Do you have a scale anywhere in your house?
Nope. I never weigh myself if I can help it. I figure as long as my clothes still fit, my weight is fine.

How many mirrors are in your house?
Three: my bathroom mirror, a little mirror that hangs over my dresser that I use to do my makeup, and a full-length mirror that sits in the corner of my bedroom.

Look up. What do you see?
A sprinkler head and a smoke detector and generic apartment ceiling. It's one of those ceilings with the little lumps on it. What is that called, anyway? The ceilings in my parents' house are like that, too, and my mom always calls the little bumps "picky-pocky." As in we were going to try painting the ceiling in the hallway once, and Mom said, "Don't do it, all the picky-pockys will fall off!"

Do you have a garage?
Nope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude, i understand about the whole dishes in the sink thing. i will never ever comprehend why my roommate leaves dirty plates/silverware in the sink all week when the dishwasher is RIGHT NEXT TO THE FUCKING SINK.