Friday, July 20, 2007

La la la

Guys, things are not looking good. As of right now (11:30 PM on Thursday) I'm only 1/4 of the way through Book Five. And Book Five and Book Six are both really long. The upside is that I don't have to work until Saturday night. I think I can finish both books by then, but I wouldn't be able to even start on the new book until Sunday, and by then half the world will have already sped through it and will be busy ruining it online. Bastards. I really just don't want the ending ruined for me accidentally. I'm going to have to sequester myself or something.

So today was really not my day. I woke up this morning thinking I didn't have to be at the bar until 7:00 tonight, so I was sort of surprised when my manager called me at 2:15 and asked where I was. Turns out I was supposed to open today, not close. Oops. Luckily it wasn't a big deal, I was able to get everything set up, I just had to do it while taking care of customers, too. I did feel bad, though, because two of my bosses were like, "Wow, that's really not like *A* to screw up," so they tried to accuse the schedule maker of changing it but forgetting to tell me. I'm pretty positive it was my own dumb mistake, though, and I told everyone to quit blaming the guy that made the schedule. But I guess that just goes to show yet again how important first impressions, are: start off on the right foot and don't make mistakes often, and then when you DO make one, people will be so shocked that they'll try to place the blame on someone else anyway!
Anyhow, I was running late to work so of COURSE my gas tank was empty. [This happens to me all the freakin' time, and you'd think after awhile I'd get it into my head that I should always stop at the gas station on my way home when my tank is low instead of saying "I'll just do it on my way to [wherever] tomorrow," because I always forget about it overnight and then am pissed the next day when I'm running late (because I'm always running late) and I have to stop for gas. But no, I do the whole "Crap, I'm already five minutes late and I don't have enough gas to get there!" thing pretty much every single time it's time to fill up the tank again.] And the gas pump I chose was one of those faulty ones that you have to hold at a precise, uncomfortable angle to get the gas to flow, so it took about a million times longer to get gas than it should have.
And then once I got to work I sliced my pinky finger open while I was cutting limes. Don't ask how I managed to cut my pinky, I can't figure out how that was physically possible, either.
And THEN I thought a guy walked a $70 tab and that just about put me over the edge. Luckily I was mistaken and I had his credit card all along, so everything worked out alright.
Oh, and I thought the little mini-vacation to the mountains that I'm supposed to take next week had been cancelled, but thankfully my family talked themselves back into doing it, so that managed to resolve itself, too.

Other than all that, the day really hasn't been so bad. It ended up being kind of nice working the day shift, actually, because my whole night was free...except so far all I have done is fill out all of the tax and employment forms for my new job in UniversityLand. So that was fun. Especially the part where I realized with a sinking feeling that my passport and social security card are both in a folder in a filing cabinet that is currently in a storage cube thousands of miles from where I am right now. I'm an idiot.
I also called an insurance company tonight to get a renter's insurance policy, which is actually required by my new apartment. Is this an east coast thing? Because I've never had to do it before, nor have I heard of any other apartment complex requiring it (optional, sure, but not required). Luckily it's pretty inexpensive, and now I'm covered for pretty much everything other than the very-nearby lake flooding, which I'm actually not too concerned about considering my new place is on the third floor.
The guy that was setting up my policy over the phone was a dumbass, though. He was totally chatting me up. At first I thought he was just asking me questions related to the policy. There were a lot of questions that seemed valid: "Are you single?" "Are you a student?", etc. But then he was like, "So what school will you be going to?" "What do you study?" "How old are you?" (which I guess could have been a valid question on the application, but then he said "Wow, you REALLY don't sound that old!" because not only do I look 18, I sound about 9 on the phone) "Oh, wow, I see by this address that you're going to be living right by a lake! That's exciting, can you swim there?" "So what are you going to do when you finish school?"...by the end of the phone call he had also told me his name, how old he was, where he went to college, how he likes the insurance business, and how if I let him sign me up for this policy today he would reach some sort of goal and get a reward. I was just like, "Dude, you're at a call center in Seattle. Please stop talking to me and just give me my insurance policy."

All in all, it was a pretty lame day. So why am I in such an awesome mood?

No comments: