Sunday, July 15, 2007

It's Almost Time...

Whew, sorry about that whole music rant from the other day. I just really had to get that out of my system. I was kind of crabby the past couple of days. I don't really know why. Little things like the music thing were just annoying the hell out of me.
And also, there was this argument happening on the internet message board I frequent, which made me mad because (as usual in these cases) the fight was started by a couple of trolls who just wanted to rile everybody up and aren't even part of the community normally. I mostly stayed out of the whole thing, but it was frustrating to see my friends being bashed by people that don't know them remotely, and even more frustrating that technically we all believe the same basic thing but the people that came by just to argue were incapable of seeing that. Internet groups are a strange phenomenon. I never thought I'd be the sort of person that befriends people on the internet, but I've been posting fairly regularly at this board for a couple of years now, and now it's like a group of friends, even though I've never actually met any of them in real life. It's just weird to me because I feel like I know some of these people fairly well, and yet I have no idea if we met in real life if we'd actually click or not. I'm hoping to meet a few of the regular posters when I make my drive to UniversityLand in a few weeks, so I guess I'll find out the answer to that last question. At any rate, the posts going on over there were upsetting me. Luckily it seems to be over now.
And also, I am just getting increasingly nervous about UniversityLand. If I let my mind wander, I can find about a hundred reasons to freak out. I'm trying not to, but as it gets closer I get more excited but I also get much, much more nervous. And I realize that the thing I'm still most worried about is being able to afford to live up there, and logically I know that money should be the least of my worries because even if eventually I can't take care of myself financially, there are people in my family that will. I'd hate to ask them to, but they would. And I could take out loans, too. A loan for education purposes is a good form of debt, and I know that. But I choose to freak out about it anyway, probably because it's too hard to freak out about all the other unknowns, and if there's anyone that likes to freak out unnecessarily, it's me! Logically, I know I'll be just fine, but I have to reassure myself of that about five times a day.

But I went to work last night and had fun, even though it was pretty slow for a Saturday and I didn't make much money. And then I woke up this morning and the world isn't annoying me anymore, possibly because I've been spending a lot of time in the wizarding world. I finally broke down the other day and went and bought the box set of the first six books (in paperback). I would rather have hardback copies, but for now I just wanted to be able to re-read the books in the cheapest way possible. It's impossible to get them out of the libraries here because they're perpetually checked out, and normally I would have just borrowed them from somebody else but I don't know anyone here that has all of them. So I realized if I wanted to re-read that I was going to have to finally buy them for myself. I'm glad I did. I'm in the middle of book three right now and I've been averaging a book a day, although the last three books are a lot longer. I would really like to finish by the weekend, though, so I can read the new one with everyone else before people start posting spoilers all over the internet. We'll see if I can make it.

No comments: