Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Another Post Where I Freak Out About Other People's Babies

I just found out my college roommate is expecting her first baby. We've been playing phone tag for a while and the original voicemail she left said, "I have big news, call me back," so I knew that she was going to tell me she was pregnant (in my experience, whenever someone calls to tell me they have good news that they don't want to break via Facebook, it means they're either engaged or pregnant; Roomie had already done the former so I knew this call meant she was preggo). Anyway, I'm very excited for her. I love good news.
Still, I turned to Penn just now and was like, "Oh my god, everyone has to stop having babies! This is getting ridiculous! A dozen of my friends either just gave birth or are currently pregnant!" And I thought I was exaggerating, but no. I sat here and made a list of everyone I know who has given birth or will give birth between September 2008 and September 2009 and there are ELEVEN people on the list. ELEVEN! How many more of my friends have to give birth before it ceases to shock me? The whole engagement announcement thing finally started feeling normal, so I'm sure eventually the whole baby thing will feel normal, too. But right now every time I'm still like, "What?! A baby?! We can do that now?!?!?!" That's why I keep blogging about it. I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that, apparently, we're all adults now.
Penn jokingly asked me if I wanted to jump onboard the baby train and I said, no, no, no, not yet. But the really crazy thing is, if I get lucky enough that this relationship continues as smoothly as it has and we both don't become homeless and Penn doesn't get abducted by aliens and the world doesn't blow up and any number of other bad things don't happen between now and then, it's not too far-fetched to think I might be attempting to grow a person a few years from now. A few years ago I was just starting my MA program and it feels like I was doing that yesterday. And now I'm thinking that in that small amount of time or maybe less I, too, might maybe possibly potentially be somebody's mother.

Time freaks me out, everyone. That's all.

No comments: