Friday, June 12, 2009

Bus Stop

I'm currently sitting at the bus stop near the campus library(where I just picked up fifteen books; comprehensive exam prep is moving right along!) waiting for the bus to come along and take me home. It's about three hundred degrees outside, muggy as can be, and the guy on the bench next to me is smoking a cigarette. I never understand the appeal of smoking, but on a day like today it makes even less sense than usual. Anyone else out there more tolerant of cigarettes at night time and in colder weather? I don't know why, but when I'm already hot and I see someone smoking it just makes me feel nauseous. Weird quirk, or normal reaction from a non smoker?

Yesterday I went to see a friend's play and when I came out to my car after the show I had a parking ticket. I was already planning to argue for the ticket's dismissal since the parking lot had confusing signs, but then I read the ticket and all it said was WARNING. No fine. And then under that, in tiny letters, it said Friendly Ticket Program. I don't know what the Friendly Ticket Program is, but I like it!

I'm cooking fish tonight. Grilled tilapia with pineapple salsa. I cook at home a lot more now and I've tackled plenty of other recipes and I keep hearing how fish is so easy. Here's hoping that's true. Just in case the fish sucks I'm also making cherry pie for dessert and as far as I know there is no way to really screw up pie. Even bad, crumbly, falling apart dessert is still dessert! And if all else fails, Penn and I have plans to go drinking in City A tonight with a bunch of the other PhDs, so we can always fill up on beer and bar pizza if dinner is a bust.

Curently I have no job. I'm looking, sort of. I have an interview with a tutoring place next week and applications in with two other places. If none of those pan out, I think I'm okay with just living frugally between now and the end of July, when I'll get paid for the two weeks of summer camp classes I've agreed to teach. I feel a little lazy about not really pounding the pavement to find a summer job, but I'm also studying for my exams and working on my prospectus so it's not as if I'm doing nothing. I think I have enough money to get me through the summer. And if not I suppose I can get an emergency waitressing job to tide me over until I'm back on contract at school again. Or I can be a sign flipper. That's what Penn keeps suggesting.

Alright, enough tidbits for now.I'll be back soon with more on my summer vacations, since I currently spend a lot of time sitting at home eating bonbons and watching Say Yes to the Dress.

No, I'm kidding. It's amazing how much work still needs to get done, even in the summer. I read Marx while watching Say Yes to the Dress.And I eat gummy worms, not bonbons.

No comments: