Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pathetic

Yesterday, one of my friends hosted a Drunken Volleyball Party. The invitation said that we were going to drink heavily for an hour, then make our way down to the sand volleyball court at her apartment complex and play a few games. It sounded like a fun afternoon, so at the appointed time Penn and I showed up at her apartment with a dozen beers and a couple of shot glasses.
Once everyone else had arrived we kicked things off with a power hour. Do you want to know when I last attempted a power hour? I'm fairly certain it was sometime in 2003, and I'm positive I didn't complete it successfully. But yesterday I was successful! I think I owe my success at completing my first ever power hour to the magical invention that is iPowerHour. Yes, you can get your ipod to play a random minute of sixty songs so that nobody has to sit around with a watch. Brilliant! So, anyway, the power hour went well and other than having a sort of fizzy belly I didn't feel too bad. Not bad for having slammed down 4.5 beers in an hour, anyway.
Then we went down to the volleyball court and although I generally hate team sports and avoid them at all costs, hitting the sand was actually a lot of fun. We only had a handful of people in our group but there ended up being a few other groups at the court so we mixed and mingled with them. I can't say I was exactly an asset to my team, but I did manage to serve the ball over the net instead of into it a couple of times and there was a sort of impressive moment where I reached for the ball and ended up in a split. I wasn't aware I could do the splits anymore, but it appears that I still can (when I'm buzzed and in a pile of sand, anyway).
We finished off the night with pizza and more beer and a game of Taboo. And then Penn and I went home and immediately fell asleep on our couch at 11:30 and then woke up at 1:30 in the morning all confused and disoriented. In other words, it was the perfect kick off to summer. But I woke up this morning and I was sore. I'm sore in muscles I didn't know existed. It's the muscles that run along the side of my ribcage, below my arms. My lats, maybe? Anyway, they hurt. And now I feel completely lame because, seriously, who gets sore after the Drunken Volleyball Game?!?!
Pa.the.tic.

Next time I write I'm going to tell you about my family vacation. It was one of the best weeks of my life, I think. Penn and I got home on Thursday and I'm still moping about the fact that I'm not currently on the beach with a bottle of Orange Crush in one hand and a magazine in the other. But I'll be okay, if only because I'm going to go ahead and assume there will be other great vacations in my future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

iPowerHour?!?!??! that's the most amazing thing i've ever heard of.

and you're not pathetic. but you would have been proud of my drinking skills this past week. out every single night, and i sang monday night karaoke, tuesday night piano bar, and at live band karaoke on friday i sang fat bottomed girls...with a LIVE BAND! i've been getting drunk and rocking out. i'm awesome. (at least that what i'm telling myself.)

:)

-kiki

p.s. this week my body gets a much deserved break. :)