Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Woo!

I just want to say that I'm having a really good day today. Wednesdays are my really long day, but at least today felt really productive. By 3:00 I had already sat in on the lecture for the class I TA, led my two discussion sections (Which involved actual discussions! I love the beginning of the school year when everyone is enthusiastic and actually prepared), eaten a healthy lunch, and worked out.
Then tonight's class went well. I felt like I made some valid and interesting points in discussion, and Dr. Scary wrote, "This is a good start" on the top of my response paper so yay! A positive first impression!
And then tonight after class I went out with the three other new PhD students for wings and beer, which was a lot of fun. And tomorrow I'm having lunch with Mari and Stacy (one of the new PhDs I was out with tonight) and then possibly going out for drinks with a couple of other people tomorrow night, and then Friday night Rae invited me to come up to City B again, and Sunday my dog and I have another playdate set up in City A...I'm sorry to keep harping on this, but seriously, you have no idea how strange this much of a social life so early in a new phase of my life is for me. [Wow, that's the most awkward sentence ever! I'm gonna leave it.] When I went off to college I met people and started going out right away but I was so sad about leaving my boyfriend that I didn't really enjoy anyone else's company until about November, and for most of the first semester of my freshman year I felt like everyone was doing better at the whole college social scene than I was. When I started my MA program, I seriously don't think I went out with anyone other than my sister until like, January. I mean, I must have done SOMETHING social once in a while, but I honestly don't remember really hanging out outside of class with anyone until I started hanging out with Maddi, and we may have gone out once or twice my first semester but I don't really remember going out until my second semester. And then I rapidly made up for lost time, but still. The point I am trying to make is that I do not make friends easily. I am not the outgoing one, I am pretty much a hermit by nature. So it's absolutely shocking to me that I already have people here that I would consider friends, and that I'm already trying to figure out how to balance school work and my social life.
Maybe all my worrying and negativity before coming up here actually had a positive effect, because now I'm just so amazed any time something is good that I spend every day going, "Wow, this wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! In fact, it's actually REALLY FREAKIN' AWESOME!"
So yeah. I'm still waiting for the bomb to drop. But in the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy myself, thankyouverymuch.

No comments: