Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I woke up this morning and realized that I was completely wrapped up in my comforter, hundred degree hound dog curled up against my stomach, and despite this I was comfortable, not sweaty.
I took the dog outside for a quick morning walk and I was almost too chilly in my t-shirt.
I had my balcony door open all afternoon to let the breeze in, and for a while during the afternoon I could actually hear a marching band practicing somewhere in the distance, and it was not my imagination.
I felt the need to drink two mugs of hot tea as I was reading this evening.
The sunlight is starting to slant at that angle. You know the one. For me, it will always mean homecoming bonfires and Friday night football games, helping my grandmother pick out a pattern for my perfect Halloween costume, buying pumpkins and chili ristras at a farmers market and then racing my family through a maze carved into a field of corn, and turning another year older.

Someone changed the set this morning. Fall is here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i know exactly what you think...it's so beautiful. yesterday i actually wore jeans and a long sleeved shirt, and was totally comfortable and warm. i couldnt' believe it! it makes me want hot chocolate. :)

i love autumn. it's my favorite season.

and we get to spend it up here! together! oh man, we're so lucky!

-love kiki