Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"For these snakes are not normal snakes, no, they shoot smaller snakes out of their mouths..."

So I had a fabulous weekend. How was yours?

Obviously I survived Friday night's subway ride. In fact, I discovered that it's actually just fine late at night, so that's good to know for future reference.

Kiki and I had a great weekend. It's so exciting to me that we live close enough now to see each other on weekends! I know, I know, in theory there was the whole 2005-2006 school year when we did in fact live about as far from each other as we do now and somehow we still only managed to see each other like, two or three times that whole year. But! That trip involved us actually driving our own cars, whereas now there are cheap buses or trains and somehow spending several hours in transit is much, much more appealing when someone else is doing the driving. Plus now we both live in more exciting places so the incentive to travel is a bit higher. It is for me, anyway. Not that Kiki is not reason in and of itself to visit a place, because I have visited her single intersection hometown multiple times and thoroughly enjoyed myself. However, the option of visiting her in New York is obviously a bit more exciting.

Anyway, the weekend. On Saturday we slept in and then went for a walk around the lake since the weather was nice and for a change it wasn't horribly humid. Then Saturday night we went into City A to meet Rae. We started out by attending that play festival I talked about, which ended up being a bit of a bust. Being in that theatre space was cool, but the two things we saw were nothing to rave about (in fact, the first thing we sat in on was almost too painful to watch). But oh well, that's part of the fun of live theatre. The bad is REALLY painful, but every now and then you get something really amazing and it exceeds anything you could ever experience through a TV or movie screen. After the show we headed over to this trendy nightlife part of town and got all yuppie by eating dinner at a tapas restaurant and then drinking at a sleek wine bar, where we met a man (woman?...I mean, it was definitely a guy but judging by the purse and the patent leather heels the proper pronoun in this case would be "she") who was sporting rhinestone knuckles. You know, like brass knuckles but covered in rhinestones. It was pretty amazing.
I know I keep saying this, but I still can't believe that I actually live here now, that when I go out at night this is where I will drink and laugh and flirt. It's just so much more interesting than any other place I have ever lived. And I have liked everywhere else I lived, too, don't get me wrong, but there's something different about being here. I don't really know how to put my finger on what I like about this place. Maybe right now it's just that it's all new. Maybe it's the different energy here. Because it is different in a way I can't quite explain. There's something kind of...gritty here that for whatever reason is appealing to me right now. Don't ask me to explain it better than that, because I can't (who prefers gritty to pretty and easy, after all?), but Rae and I were talking about it on Saturday night and she obviously gets it, too. Part of it too is this really nice combination of being able to go into substantial, very urban-feeling cities when I feel like it and then being able to come home at night to my very suburban-feeling home. Right now it's feeling like the best of both worlds, and I'm loving it. I wonder how quickly the novelty will wear off...

Anyway, Sunday was a completely different sort of day but equally enjoyable. Kiki and I lounged by the pool for a couple of hours and then went to Target (where I found a cute shirt for $2.48, long live Target!) and then went to see The Nanny Diaries. The book doesn't really translate very well to movie form, which I kind of suspected would be the case before I saw it, but it was still a cute movie. Laura Linney was in it and I like her. Plus I hardly ever go to movies and I forget sometimes how nice it is to just sit in the dark and drink a Coke and not do anything for a few hours. I'm too Type A to just sit and watch movies at home without doing something else at the same time. Maybe I should go to movies more often just to make myself chill out for a while.

Kiki had to go back to the city today, and I was sad to say goodbye to her but hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in a trip up there sometime in the next month or two, or she'll come down here again. The rest of today was still good, though. First of all, the Justin Timberlake concert was on HBO and even though watching it on TV wasn't remotely as fun or exciting or, uh, hot as seeing it in real life back in March, I still watched the whole thing. I don't even bother trying to defend my Justin Timberlake love anymore. I'm a proud fan. The guy puts on a damn good show and if I could pick only a handful of albums to listen to for the rest of my life, FutureSex/LoveSounds would be one of them. It's good for dancing, cleaning the house, working out, sex (of course) and I don't like to listen to music when I read or study, and since reading/studying is pretty much the only other thing I do, what more could I need?*
Anyway, today was also good because I ordered my new computer today. It'll probably get here sometime around the end of the month. It's a very belated graduation present from my parents. My goal is to keep this computer charged and in working order so that I'll have two laptops to get me through the rest of grad school. So yay for a new computer.
Alright, I have to go be serious and read Plato for a while. Good night.

*You may think I'm kidding when I say that the only things I do on a regular basis are dancing, cleaning the house, working out, sex, and reading/studying, but no, that's pretty much true. It's especially true if you count walking the dog as working out and cuddling with the dog and cat as part of reading time. Oh, but I should clarify that dancing isn't exactly an every-single-day-occurrence. And sex, sadly, is not really happening these days so I'm not even sure if I can count it. I mean, I have a pretty active social life (surprisingly active, considering I just moved) and I DO do other things obviously, but if you're wondering what I'm doing at any given moment, one of the things on that list is a pretty sure bet.

No comments: