Saturday, August 25, 2007

Thank Goodness He's Okay

The scariest thing happened this afternoon. My beloved hound dog had to undergo his weekly ear cleaning today (I think it's "cleaning", he thinks it's "torture", whatever). After I was finished grooming him, I brought him back inside and gave him three dog biscuits for being a good dog during grooming time. Then I went into my bedroom to put away all the grooming supplies. When I came back into the living room I saw that there was still half a biscuit sitting on the floor by the hound. I was like, "Huh, that's weird, normally he gulps those down in two seconds flat," so I said, "Here, silly hound, eat the rest of your treat" and I picked it up to hand it to him, and that's when I realized something was really wrong. He was hunched over frantically pawing at his face, almost like he was punching himself, and making a grunting noise.
I knew that he was choking, but I had no idea what to do for him. Instead I just screamed, "OH GOD, OH NO!" and I dropped to the floor beside him. I'm not sure what I would have done next, but thankfully right at that moment he coughed and spat out a slimey piece of biscuit. And then it was like nothing had even happened. He ate the drooly biscuit piece, ate the other half of the biscuit, and then hopped up onto the couch to take a nap. He doesn't understand why I've been burying my face in his fur and kissing the top of his head all evening. I'm just so grateful he's okay. It really was a scary moment when he was choking and I couldn't do anything but panic. It's another one of those moments that makes me go, "Hmmm...maybe I'd better just stick to hound dogs and not have children, ever." I did google "Heimlich maneuver for dogs", though, so now I'll know what to do if it ever happens again, which it better not. I love my dumb ol' hound dog so much it's ridiculous. I'm just glad he's okay.

Nothing else to report today because it was 97 degrees and humid as a steam room today, so I deliberately didn't leave my apartment at all. I really hope that this is the last burst of summer weather. I'm very ready for fall (fall, NOT winter...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

coschnizzle!!! oh no! i am glad he is ok...that entry really stressed me out.

love, kiks