Saturday, August 18, 2007

Feeling Great, Feeling Good, How are You?

So how is this for lucky?
I decided back in April that I was going to move to University Land. A couple of months later, my dad mentioned that he had talked to my uncle and heard that one of my cousins was moving to City B, which as you know from previous entries isn't far from me at all. It's random that the two of us would end up in this area of the country at the same time (considering the majority of our extended family is still back in Home State) but it's a pretty cool coincidence.
This afternoon I was hanging out around the house and Rae, said cousin, called me to invite me to dinner tonight. So I drove up to City B and had dinner with Rae and her husband. Rae and I have always gotten along well. She is one of my cousins from my dad's side, the sprawling side of the family that includes 18 grandkids total and now several second cousins or first cousins once removed or whatever the heck it is when your first cousins start having kids, since I'm one of the "babies" on that side of the family and most of my cousins on that side are married and having kids of their own now. Rae and I didn't grow up together since we lived on opposite sides of our homestate when we were younger. We didn't even see each other much at holidays since she usually spent holidays with her mother's side of the family. But as we have gotten older we have seen each other more often (mostly because there now seems to be a family wedding once every year or two), which has been good. She's actually only a few years older than me, but she has always seemed much older to me because she's brilliant and skipped a couple of grades in elementary school, so even though age-wise we're only two or three years apart, she was substantially ahead of me in school. But now that we are older everything has sort of evened out.
Anyway, Rae is my cousin who got married in Las Vegas last December (you may recall this if you followed me over from the old blog). She and her husband Jon just moved here, as in their house is still full of boxes. Jon moved into their
home the day I moved into mine, and Rae just got here yesterday. Even in its unfinished state, I'm terribly jealous of Rae and Jon's place. They have a newly remodeled row house in a hip area of City B, complete with a roof deck with a view of downtown and the ballpark. Oh, and the roof deck has a wet bar! Imagine the party possibilities. It's pretty awesome.
Anyway, Rae and Jon are both really nice and it's cool having family so close by. I had completely forgotten that Rae was moving here too until today, and now I'm sort of excited about the idea that I have someone to socialize with in City B once in a while. Jon grew up in this area, and he already has a ton of friends around here; friends that are cute and funny (I know because my friend Kiki and my sister and I shared a table with these guys at the wedding and rehearsal dinner and they made me laugh so hard I cried). So I'm hoping we'll get to spend more time together in the future, and that maybe Rae and Jon will introduce me to some other people as well. She already mentioned trying to get together over Labor Day weekend, so that's promising.

Overall I'm pretty proud of myself. I have only been in University Land for a little over a week, I have only been without my family support for three days, and already I have been on two social outings! This is in sharp contrast to when I moved to the city where I did my MA, when I spent the entire first month I lived there sitting in my apartment by myself or at the river ignoring everyone.

Things are looking promising. If only I could stop freaking the hell out about starting work on Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wait a minute...the groom's hot friends?? is tom cruise going to be there?? i loved those guys!!!

-kiki