Saturday, August 25, 2007

Strange Things Are Happening to Me

So the weirdest thing is happening to me here. Tonight was the grad student getting-to-know-you cookout thing. [By the way, I brought my beer and so did everyone else so I am not a social outcast, yay!] While I was at the party chatting with everyone, I couldn't shake the feeling that I have already been here for years. Even though I didn't know the names of half of the people that I talked and laughed with all night (I'm trying, but there are so many new faces to learn) and even though I didn't know all of their stories from the past, I still felt very comfortable. I have never felt like this in a new place before. I have never felt so at ease so early on in the moving-and-settling process. I don't know why it's happening now, and I don't know what that means. I'm wondering if this is going to end up being some sort of jinx since my usual MO is to take a good six months to settle in. You know, like it usually takes me six months to make friends but then I end up making wonderful friends, so what if I make friends too early on and then everything ends up being horrible? Basically, the fact that I have only been here two weeks and I already feel like I have a little bit of a social life is very weird to me. It's just not ME, you know? But maybe it is me. Maybe it's an older and more mature me that knows how to just jump in and put myself out there and hope for the best. At any rate, everything seems to be going well so far. I keep crossing my fingers and knocking on wood because I don't want everything to end up getting screwed up when I feel...good.

No comments: