Monday, October 13, 2008

Joan

It has been a long time since I did an online personality quiz, but I came across this one during my nightly online procrastination session(s) and I had to post my result here because it's dead accurate. Which is a little scary, considering the "female icon" I supposedly am...
The "How to Get Along With Me" is exactly true. I kind of wish the, "Don't burden me with negative emotions" thing wasn't true, but I have to admit that it is. I don't mind dealing with people that are upset when they are people that I'm close to. I'm always willing to listen to venting from people that are close to me, and I will always take care of a friend who is sad. I will always try to be supportive when a good friend is down. But even then I've never managed to be as empathetic as I would like to be. And while I don't mind dealing with sadness at all, I have absolutely zero patience for negativity and whiny attitudes. I can't stand people who never even try to look on the bright side. (Note: I'm aware that clinical depression exists, and I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the people who choose to focus on the negative in life when they're just as capable of focusing on the positive. I don't get those people and don't like dealing with them).
The "What I Like About Being a Joan" is also completely true. The "What's Hard About Being a Joan" is mostly true, too, although I don't think I put on facades as a general rule. I like to present my best self in public, particularly when I'm making a first impression, but I don't see that as putting on a facade. I see it as playing up my best features (both personality-wise and physical) and trying to play down my flaws. But doesn't everyone do this? Or am I actually putting up a facade and just trying to rationalize it? Basically, what I'm saying is I never feel like I'm not being myself.
The final two family-related sections are freakishly accurate, too. I was constantly the responsible kid, especially in early childhood. And while I'm not a parent yet, I'm already starting to think about how I'll potentially be able to balance early motherhood with keeping at least one foot in my career. I had a stay-at-home mom for the first twelve years of my life, and I think that was good for my childhood. But while I hope that things work out well financially so that I'm able to spend most of my time at home with my babies when they're tiny, I have to admit that I have a hard time envisioning myself as a full time stay-at-home mother. I think I'm one of those women that will be a better mother for being able to get out of the house once in a while and interact with adults in a business setting. I'll appreciate my kids much more, I'll have a lot more patience, etc. I may change my mind once I'm actually a mother, I know lots of women do. But right now I can't imagine not wanting to continue working at least a little bit once I have kids. I'll go completely stir-crazy if I don't. Seriously. Oh, and my children will be organized if it kills me. Or they'll at least learn to keep their messes out of my sight! Haha.

Anyway, try the quiz. I'm curious to see if it's this accurate for everyone.

Your result for Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn? Or Someone Else? Mad Men-era Female Icon Quiz...

You Are a Joan!

mm.joan_.jpg




You are a Joan -- "I need to succeed"



Joans are energetic, optimistic, self-assured, and goal oriented.


How to Get Along with Me

  • * Leave me alone when I am doing my work.

  • * Give me honest, but not unduly critical or judgmental, feedback.

  • * Help me keep my environment harmonious and peaceful.

  • * Don't burden me with negative emotions.

  • * Tell me you like being around me.

  • * Tell me when you're proud of me or my accomplishments.




What I Like About Being a Joan

  • * being optimistic, friendly, and upbeat

  • * providing well for my family

  • * being able to recover quickly from setbacks and to charge ahead to the next challenge

  • * staying informed, knowing what's going on

  • * being competent and able to get things to work efficiently

  • * being able to motivate people




What's Hard About Being a Joan

  • * having to put up with inefficiency and incompetence

  • * the fear on not being -- or of not being seen as -- successful

  • * comparing myself to people who do things better

  • * struggling to hang on to my success

  • * putting on facades in order to impress people

  • * always being "on." It's exhausting.




Joans as Children Often

  • * work hard to receive appreciation for their accomplishments

  • * are well liked by other children and by adults

  • * are among the most capable and responsible children in their class or school

  • * are active in school government and clubs or are quietly busy working on their own projects




Joans as Parents

  • * are consistent, dependable, and loyal

  • * struggle between wanting to spend time with their children and wanting to get more work done

  • * expect their children to be responsible and organized

Take Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn? Or Someone Else? Mad Men-era Female Icon Quiz at HelloQuizzy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KIKI IS A DORIS.

You are a Doris -- "I must help others."

Dorises are warm, concerned, nurturing, and sensitive to other people's needs.





How to Get Along with Me
* Tell me that you appreciate me. Be specific.
* Share fun times with me.
* Take an interest in my problems, though I will probably try to focus on yours.
* Let me know that I am important and special to you.
* Be gentle if you decide to criticize me.




In Intimate Relationships
* Reassure me that I am interesting to you.
* Reassure me often that you love me.
* Tell me I'm attractive and that you're glad to be seen with me.

What I Like About Being a Doris
* being able to relate easily to people and to make friends
* knowing what people need and being able to make their lives better
* being generous, caring, and warm
* being sensitive to and perceptive about others' feelings
* being enthusiastic and fun-loving, and having a good sense of humor




What's Hard About Being a Doris
* not being able to say no
* having low self-esteem
* feeling drained from overdoing for others
* not doing things I really like to do for myself for fear of being selfish
* criticizing myself for not feeling as loving as I think I should
* being upset that others don't tune in to me as much as I tume in to them
* working so hard to be tactful and considerate that I suppress my real feelings


Dorises as Children Often
* are very sensitive to disapproval and criticism
* try hard to please their parents by being helpful and understanding
* are outwardly compliant
* are popular or try to be popular with other children
* act coy, precocious, or dramatic in order to get attention
* are clowns and jokers (the more extroverted Dorises), or quiet and shy (the more introverted Dorises)




Dorises as Parents
* are good listeners, love their children unconditionally, and are warm and encouraging (or suffer guilt if they aren't)
* are often playful with their children
* wonder: "Am I doing it right?" "Am I giving enough?" "Have I caused irreparable damage?"
* can become fiercely protective