Saturday, October 13, 2007

Waiting for Motivation

Does the fact that Full House is on Nick at Nite now make anyone else feel terribly old? Remember back in the day when it was part of the TGIF line up? I was going to add "Remember when you were young enough not to think it sucked horribly?" except that I think even as an eight year old there was a part of me that realized that Full House sucked horribly.

I'm having a weird night tonight because I keep thinking it's Sunday. It's nice every time I remember, "Oh yeah, I still have all day tomorrow to finish this, too," but it's throwing me off. I think that having Wednesday evening off was sort of a bad thing, because I've been having a hard time inspiring myself to do school work ever since then.
I'm getting other stuff done. I've worked out every day, I did a big grocery store run today and stocked up for the rest of the month, I cleaned the apartment, I went to an event I had to attend because I have to teach my students about it next week. But I haven't done any school work other than grading my students' tests from last week. And while that needed to get done this weekend, it took up all of the energy that I felt like devoting to schoolwork tonight and I still haven't done any of my own work or reading. So I guess I know what I'll be doing all day long (and probably all night long) tomorrow.

I had a good weekend, though. On Thursday I went to the event I had to go to, an event that was hosted by my department. The event was enjoyable, and then afterwards as I was walking upstairs to get my stuff from my office a friend of mine called me from down the hall and said, "Come down here to my office! We're having a party!"
It turns out that all of the grad students who had worked on this particular event were throwing themselves a big party (mostly because all of the planning for the event is over) and even though I did nothing for this event at all whatsoever, Nicole and my friend Emily and I were all invited over to the party anyway because we happened to be standing in the hallway. It was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, and I'm glad things worked out that way because it was so much fun.
The guys had toilet-papered their office to make it look festive (don't ask) and had all of the lights off except the desk lamps so there was mood lighting, and there was an entire desk with food and then another desk covered with at least a dozen bottles of liquor and a bucket of punch. At first I was like, "Wow, we're drinking here? In the building?" but apparently the faculty doesn't really care, considering that a few of them stopped by at various points in the evening. Which makes me like this school even more, because I don't think that would have flown on either of my previous campuses. At least, not all in the open like that with Justin Timberlake blaring and dance-offs happening in the middle of the hallway and a giant bucket in the middle of the table that said RESPECT THE VODKA. Anyway, I ended up staying there until almost midnight. And I decided that I need to spend more time with the kids in the other corridor, because clearly their grad wing is much more exciting than the PhD wing. Not that the PhDs aren't cool, too, but so far my officemates haven't thrown any keggers.
Last night some of the girls and I watched movies and ate pizza and drank at Nicole's place, which was also fun but in a different way.
It was a good night to huddle up on the couch with pizza and beer, because it's finally starting to get really chilly. Luckily I have my toasty little hound dog and my favorite wool socks from Alaska (they have crabs on them!) so I'm good to go.

I guess I should try to at least do some reading, huh?

No comments: