Saturday, October 20, 2007

I Hate Titles

I've been feeling kind of run down for the past couple of days. Yesterday I felt fine when I woke up, but then at about 3:00 in the afternoon while I was picking my dog up from the groomers I suddenly got so tired that it took total concentration to get myself home without falling asleep. It was bizarre. One minute I felt fine, and then the next minute I felt completely fatigued. Luckily the groomers is only about five minutes from my house, so as soon I got home I took some ibuprofen because I was feeling achy, and then I collapsed on the couch with the dog and napped for about an hour and a half. I felt fine after my nap. I had enough energy to clean my house and even go out in City B last night.
But then today the exact same thing happened. I woke up this morning feeling fine, but then at about 4:30 in the afternoon I was suddenly hit with the same body aches and exhaustion I felt yesterday, and I once again had to curl up on the couch and sleep for a couple of hours. And now here I am at 10:00 at night feeling fine again. I don't feel like doing anything productive, mind you, but I don't feel tired anymore, I just feel normal for 10:00 on a Saturday night.
Now that I'm thinking about it, the same thing happened to me a week ago Tuesday. I suddenly felt exhausted and achy and went to bed much earlier than I usually do, and I woke up in the morning feeling fine and I felt fine all the way up until yesterday.
So what's wrong with me? It's kind of difficult to describe the achiness, because it's definitely not normal sore muscle pain. The closest thing I can liken it to is the deep sort of in-my-bones ache that I feel when I have the flu, except that I have no other symptoms at all whatsoever. No headache, fever, stuffy nose, ear ache, anything. I'm not worried about it, exactly. Not yet. But isn't that kind of weird?

Other than the weirdness, I'm once again having a good weekend. Last night I went out in City B with my cousin and her husband. It was a good night, although it had some very awkward moments. One of Rae's coworkers had invited her to go out with him and his friends, and Rae figured I might want to go out with them since they're single guys and only about a year younger than me. I don't meet many guys lately, so I said sure, we could go out with them. But it ended up being very weird. We walked over to the guys' house because he had sent Rae some text messages that implied that they had a bunch of people over and were having a little party. But what actually happened was we got to their house and there were only three guys there just sitting on the couch and watchind DVRed TV shows. So then I ended up feeling really awkward, like we'd interrupted their night at home, even though the one guy had invited us over. They just weren't very good at carrying on conversation, either, although both Rae and I tried really hard to get them talking (Rae's husband wasn't much help since he's kind of quiet himself). We kind of just sat there on the couch watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Office for a while [actually, that was the only good part; believe it or not I'd never seen an episode of the American version of The Office before, and it was entertaining even though I didn't really know what was going on]. Eventually they decided it was time to go out, so we followed them down the street to a nearby nightlife area. The bar they wanted to go to had a line out the front door, and somehow we lost the guys in the crowd before we managed to make it into the bar. Frankly, I wasn't at all upset that we lost them. I'm sure they're nice guys, they're just boring as hell and I've never been one to try to make boring interesting.
Once we got to the bar it was kind of weird, too. The bar itself was pretty good. I liked the music, anyway. But I realized last night that apparently my gaydar is somewhat defective on the east coast. Back in my homestate, I prided myself on my ability to tell immediately whether or not a guy was gay, straight, or gay without knowing it yet. But here? I am having a hell of a time figuring it out. In this bar, for example, there were a ton of really pretty boys hanging out in groups. And I don't know if this is a new trend, but have you seen a lot of guys lately in like, John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever shirts? Or maybe Ricky Martin would be a good example. Sort of shiny, tight shirt with deep v-necks? I first noticed a group of guys wearing shirts like this when I was bartending in my hometown this summer, but I just guessed they were probably not from the U.S. and I figured it was a fluke. But now I'm thinking maybe this is some horrifying new trend, because I've seen a ton of guys wearing shirts like every time I've been out in City B. Oh, and these shirts are often accentuated with gold necklaces of some sort (chains, crosses, etc.) I am NOT a fan of the look, at all. In fact, I can guarantee right now that I'm never going to date Shiny V-Neck Gold Chain Guy. Normally it wouldn't be a problem, though, because in the past I would have assumed that guys in shiny v-neck shirts with tons of product in their hair were gay or maybe wannabe mobsters, so not likely to flirt with a girl like me either way. But suddenly, these guys are half the men in the bar and they ARE flirting with me. And I like a certain amount of metrosexuality, don't get me wrong, but there's a difference between metrosexual and so-close-to-homosexual-that-I-can't-figure-out-why-the-hell-you're-flirting-with-me. So yeah. Lots of too-pretty faces, nobody even remotely interesting. C'est la vie.

Today was so much fun. I took my dog to a party at a local retirement home for senior hound dogs. Yes, you read that right. This woman adopts old dogs that nobody else will take, and she lets them live out their lives with love and dignity. It's a pretty amazing place, actually, especially when you consider the fact that she's currently caring for 19(!!!) dogs pretty much all by herself. The home is a charity, so she's able to do some fundraising and accept donations, but for the most part she just takes care of them with her own money and resources because she decided that that's how she wants to spend her retirement years and she lives way out in the country and has a big house that provides the perfect place to do it.

I was going to post some pictures of the party, but apparently the photo upload feature is down on Blogger right now. But check the pictures out on my Photobucket, I guarantee you'll get a kick out of it, especially if you've never seen a big pack of dogs running around together before.

I was going to talk about a few other things, but I have a lot of grading to do so I should try to be productive before I'm hit with another weird fatigue spell.

No comments: