Friday, May 8, 2009

Civilization is Doomed

Edited to add that I just did some googling and it appears the whole minus whale thing is intentional internet speak. I am pretty sure this just makes me hate it even more.

On the bus right now reading blogs on my BlackBerry (I love you, BlackBerry)and I came across the phrase "minus whale"written in a comment. Minus whale. Used like this: "Well, you minus whale tell her that he's just not interested." This is the second time I've come across minus whale this year, and both times the writer clearly meant "might as well." Might as well! NOT minus whale! What on earth?! Does it not cross these people's minds that the phrase minus whale is utter nonsense?! And what sort of godforsaken accent do they have that "might as well" comes out sounding identical to "minus whale?"
For some reason, this has me completely enraged, so enraged that I had to get it out here because texting half the people I know about the stupidity of other people didn't make me feel better about it.
What is with all the idiot encounters I'm having this week? Or maybe they are always around and usually I'm just better at tuning it out?
I need this semester to be over, pronto.I'm getting grumpy. I'm on my way to take my language exam. I have no chance in hell of passing and so this is a really pointless way to be spending my Friday, which is not helping matters.
Someone please cheer me up by telling me the whole minus whale thing is a pop culture joke that I've just missed out on prior to now. Please. I'm desperate to believe that people can't really be this stupid.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hey A,

I found this online that might give you some hope in civilization. Evidently it's an "accepted" forum/chat shortcut for "might as well".

Minus WhaleOf course, I've never been a fan of forum/chat lingo. How hard is it to type "might as well"? Honestly!