Wednesday, December 10, 2008

asdf

I should be working on one of two 20-page papers right now, but I'm just not in the mood. (Anyone who has been reading this throughout the 3 1/2 years I've been in grad school recognizes that old refrain. I am NEVER in the mood to write. I always like reading, I don't mind researching, I don't even mind the writing once I get started...it's just getting started that feels so overwhelmingly impossible sometimes.)

I realized yesterday that I was six entire weeks behind on Gossip Girl. I guess that was bound to happen, what with all the travel and work (and moving in with a guy whose entire TV diet is NFL Network, Whale Wars, and Jon Stewart). Fortunately, I'm all caught up now! But when did Jenny Humphrey start looking like Ashlee Simpson? The more important question might be, why do I love this ridiculous show? But mainly I would like to know who decided to style her like Ashlee Simpson. She was much cuter before.

I'm caught up on Gossip Girl because Penn has been in his hometown for the past two nights. He has been finishing up his MA this semester, which involved going home one night a week to go to class. He had his final last night and his last major paper due today, so since we only have one working computer right now (his somehow broke being moved from one desk to another; it's kind of baffling) and since he had so much work to do, he took two days off from work and headed home to his mom's house to use her office. It was probably a good move for both of us because I think we both got more work done on our own (and not just because the two of us would have to share a computer). Still, I'm very glad that he's coming back tonight. It's strange how quickly I got used to living with someone else. It doesn't feel unfamiliar to be alone, but it definitely feels weird to come home and not have him here. And now I feel bad about leaving for ten days at Christmas because this is definitely not a one-person condo.

Speaking of Penn, I met his dad and step-mom for the first time this weekend. We drove seven hours roundtrip to see them, and spent four hours visiting with them. While both of us had way too much to do to justify spending the time on the trip, I'm glad we did it. Now I've finally met his whole family. It's odd meeting families, isn't it? Penn and I are very open with each other so we both know each other's issues with our families. I can't really think of any other scenario where a) you know so much about the people you're meeting before you actually meet them, and b) you're so anxious to have the meeting go well. It should make it easier, knowing that the people you're going to meet aren't perfect, but somehow it doesn't. Luckily, I thought our meeting went well, and so far I get along well with everyone in Penn's family and I think (I hope) they approve of me. Meeting his dad really made me want to introduce him to the rest of my family, though. I mean, here I am living with a guy and my grandparents and my sister haven't even met him yet. I wish they didn't live so far away. I'm going to have to remedy that situation by dragging him to my hometown sometime soon, I think.

And now how about a meme? It has been ages since I did one of these, and this one is sort of fun.

Read the list and bold the things you've done:
(I partially bolded some of them, for various reasons)

1. Started my own blog (OBVIOUSLY)
2. Slept under the stars (actually, I don't think I've done this. I've never been camping!)
3. Played in a band (an orchestra, but I guess that doesn't really count)
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than I can afford to charity (I don't give more than I can afford to anything)
7. Been to Disneyland/world
8. Climbed a mountain (and almost got killed in a lightning storm at the top. Not my favorite memory.)
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sung a solo (in high school theatre productions)
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched lightning at sea
14. Taught myself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty (I've been on the island with it and we were going to go to the top but it was too hot outside so it was closed. The intention was there, though, hence the half-bold.)
18. Grown my own vegetables
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France (The only time I went to Paris half the city was on strike so the Louvre was closed. Boo!)
20. Slept on an overnight train (from Paris to Switzerland)
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitchhiked (No way! I have absolutely no romantic notions about hitchhiking.)
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run a marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run (Ha. Haha.)
32. Been on a cruise (a river cruise in Europe, I've never been on an ocean cruise)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person (so fun!)
34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught myself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied (I guess. I don't know what this really means. I 'm content with the amount of money I have, but who couldn't use a bit more?)
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Been rock climbing (love it!)
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant (Why would I do this? Is this a common thing to do? Is the stranger starving? Particularly attractive? I don't get it...)
44. Visited Africa (it's definitely on the list of things I really, really want to do)
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had my portrait painted (My grandmother has painted me twice, but only from photographs; I've never sat for a portrait)
48. Gone deep sea fishing (fished in the Gulf of Mexico on a boat, but not way out deep)
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris (all of the museums were closed, so I did this twice)
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie (assuming the projects I did in college count...)
56. Visited the Great Wall of China (also on the list of things I really, really want to do)
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia (I'll be able to bold this one in three months!!!!)
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
62. Gone whale watching (also on the list of things to do)
63. Got flowers for no reason (I have a good boyfriend...although he did ask me to be his girlfriend that night, so I guess it was sort of for a reason, but it wasn't a special occasion initially)
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving (someone is going to have to talk me into this one)
66. Visited a Nazi concentration camp
67. Bounced a check (I'm obsessive about not overdrawing my account)
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten caviar (I actually like it. One time I had it on pizza!)
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London (I've seen them at the palace, I've never watched the actual ceremony)
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle (I actually have no desire to ever get on a motorcycle)
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book (maybe someday...)
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had my picture in the newspaper (and in a magazine!)
85. Read the entire Bible (another one of those "someday" goals)
86. Visited the White House (it's too much trouble to visit the inside, but I've stood outside it many times)
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating (this one can also be filed under "no desire to do, EVER)
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life (it wasn't in a big, glorious, heroic way, but yes)
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous (if we're counting well-known authors and academics...and I once literally ran into Maggie Smith in a theater)
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee (a wasp, actually, but that's more or less the same thing, right?)
100. Ridden an elephant

No comments: