Friday, November 14, 2008

How You Know You've Found a Good Man

You all know I sleep with socks on my hands, right? (To help hold in my moisturizer, and no, I can't stand the way moisturizing gloves feel on my hands, etc.) Well, prior to us moving in together, Penn had never experienced my sock hands. Oh, he knew that it was a habit of mine, mostly because it seems like every time he met one of my friends for the first couple of months they would gleefully ask, "Ooh, has she slept with socks on her hands yet?!" (That's my "thing", apparently.) But for all these months I hadn't been sleeping with socks on my hands when I was with him. Since we were only together some nights, there were still usually enough other nights in the week where I could go be a freak in the privacy of my own home. That, and having socks on your hands sort of precludes you from certain bedroom activities, if you know what I mean.
But now that we're living together, I've had to break out the socks in mixed company. If I don't use my socks at least a few nights a week, my hands get so dry it's unbearable (I'm half alligator, I swear). So the other night I waited until I was pretty sure we were finished euphemistically "going to bed" and actually going to bed and then I quietly snuck over to my side of the bed and put on some lotion and my socks. Well, of course Penn noticed and laughed like crazy and asked if I wanted some gloves for my feet and then told me that he thinks it's cute. Insane, but cute.
This morning he had to wake up a couple of hours before I did, so while he was in the bedroom getting dressed I was still dozing in bed. When Penn leaned down to kiss me goodbye he said, "Do you realize you're sleeping wearing nothing but socks on your hands? You look like a mental patient." And I laughed and then he proceeded to kiss me goodbye for much, much longer than is necessary, proving that somehow he still finds me sexy even when it's 7:30 in the morning and my hair looks like a bird's nest and I haven't brushed my teeth in eight hours AND there are socks on my hands. I think that's pretty good.

One other quick anecdote: The other day Penn said to me, "Oh yeah, I meant to tell you: I was looking around at a book fair the other day and I found a book called How to Clean Everything. It was only a dollar so I was going to buy it for you because I knew you'd like it, but then I said, 'No. If I do that, she is really going to want to clean EVERYTHING.' And you already clean enough!" Poor guy.

No comments: