Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Happy Early Birthday to Me!

I'll be 26 years old in 45 minutes. And while that's a (minor) historic event in my personal life, I realize that most of the rest of the country doesn't give a damn. But besides being the eve of a special day for me, it is an historic day for everyone else in this country, too, of course, whether or not you voted for Obama (or even voted at all).

I don't talk much about politics here, but it's no secret that I'm really happy that America elected Barack Obama today. It's pretty amazing to be sitting here with Penn on the living room floor* drinking a celebratory beer and thinking about how someday our kids might ask us what it was like when this country elected the first president who wasn't a white man. And I'm not even sure what exactly I'll tell them. It has been a long, often tedious campaign season. But now that all is said and done I'm happy I was here to witness it.

Don't screw this up, Mr. Soon-to-be-President. There are a lot of us who aren't idealistic enough to believe in hope or change or buy into the cult of personality but who still think you can be a good leader for this country. Don't let us down.

*We still haven't moved a couch over to the new place yet. We threw Penn's dilapidated couch away and I still have my old place until mid-December so we've been moving stuff over gradually and the couch hasn't made it yet. As of two nights ago we do have a bed, though! Priorities, people.

No comments: