Monday, September 1, 2008

Goodbye Summer

Summer is over. Classes start tomorrow. Booooooooooooooooo. That's pretty much how I feel about that.

Actually, I was reading over the syllabus for one of my classes the other day and looking at the projects made me feel really excited, which was a good sign that I'm going to be okay with being back in classes again (incidentally, how much of a nerd am I that reading a syllabus made me excited?). I was worrying about my lack of enthusiasm, but now I'm realizing that it's not so much a lack of enthusiasm about going back to school so much as a lack of enthusiasm about having to give up weekends like this one. Because this weekend I spent at least twelve of my waking hours lying on the couch curled up with my boyfriend watching movies and not ever thinking about what other more productive things I should be doing.
My goal this semester is to not let the "I should really be working" thoughts torment me all the time anyway, because spending quality time with my boyfriend IS productive. I'm not being facetious, I really think that's true. After all, when I look at the big picture I can see that having Penn in my life has already improved it and will continue to do so, and if by balancing my love life with my work life the work has to suffer a tiny bit, I'm more than willing to make that sacrifice. That's not to say I'm letting my work go to hell, of course, just that I'm aware that my love life, which was pretty much non-existent last year, has now become a top priority and that is obviously going to affect how I prioritize everything else. I think I can strike a good balance, though. I'm not too worried about it. Not yet, anyway.

It was a really nice weekend. I was dogsitting again so Penn came down and stayed with me. Besides watching movies we also spent a lot of time in bed (some of it actually sleeping) or sitting around reading together. For most of the weekend we only left the house to walk the dogs or pick up pizza or ice cream. On Saturday we actually went out, but we didn't have any obligations and could do whatever we wanted to do on our own schedule so we explored the city. We went to three different museums. One was science-y (Penn made me watch a planetarium show about black holes, which luckily wasn't as scary as I thought it might be; I hate black holes), the other was a modern art museum with a really interesting film exhibit, and in the third museum we went to just one exhibit on Jim Henson (which was really cool, I wish I could buy framed prints of his sketches of ideas for muppets). After we'd had our fill of museums for the day we had dinner at a Mexican food restaurant and then walked around the city for a couple of hours checking out the sights at night. It was such a nice day, and a really fun, lazy weekend. Exactly what I needed to end the summer.

No comments: