Monday, April 7, 2008

Wagamama!

My friend Stacy is going to London tonight to spend the week at a conference. I'm driving her to the airport later, and the only reason that I'm not currently trying to figure out how I can stow away on her flight is because I have yet another job interview tomorrow and it probably wouldn't be cool to skip it.*

I've spent the day being jealous, thinking about all of the things I miss about being in England. Things like Strongbow in 2 litre bottles, and the massive variety of Cadbury chocolate bars in all the convenience stores, and VKBlue (which isn't actually all that fantastic but brings back fun memories), and the fact that nobody cares if you take your beer out onto the sidewalk with you, and the eerie silence on the tube, and soccer on TV in all the sports bars, and the gigantic cabs, and the British Museum, and the Royal National Theatre, and scones with clotted cream, and Wagamama.
When I was studying in England in summer of 2004, there was a Wagamama right near the building where I went to class every morning, and at least three times a week a group of us would end up there for lunch. It was something we could get for cheap and eat fast as we planned what we were going to do with the rest of the afternoon. And it was good. I became addicted to the yaki soba. I still crave it sometimes, and few things are more frustrating to me than a food craving that I have no way to fulfill.
So just now I was already thinking about Wagamama because I want to remind Stacy to eat some yaki soba for me, and I was online browsing City A entertainment websites because apparently I'm going on a date this weekend** and I'm supposed to pick what we're doing and as usual I have no good ideas, and on one of the entertainment sites I saw a posting that said Wagamama is coming to City A!
Ah!!!!!
True, it's not going to happen until sometime late this fall or early next year. And there's also a possibility that it won't be as amazing here in the U.S. where food is tastier and cheaper in general. I will admit that a large amount of Wagamama's appeal was probably that there's not much equally affordable competition in London.
But soon-sooner than I will get to London again, anyway-I will be able to hop on a subway and make my way to a Wagamama! There is yaki soba in the forseeable future!
Needless to say, this news has pretty much made my week.

*The interview is for a job teaching at a summer day camp at the university for middle school and high school students. I know I said my plan was to finish the two jobs I currently have taken on for the spring/summer and then look for a restaurant job for the rest of the summer to make some real money. But this job would last from the end of June until the second week of July, so in theory I could STILL do a restaurant job for the second half of July and all of August. (Plus my incentive for wanting to take a restaurant job is that I'd like to have something that I can keep through the next school year working only a shift or two a week. I don't know if that will even be possible, but it would be nice.) Anyway, it seems stupid to turn down a job teaching in my field, even if it is teaching high school and not college. I'm at least going to go to the interview, anyway, to see if this job won't conflict with my other job too much (they overlap for a week) and to see how much they are willing to pay me. If they're willing to pay enough, it'd be worth it to take the teaching job, I think. If not, I should probably stick to my original idea of finding restaurant work. This is all on the assumption that I can easily find restaurant work, of course, and I have no idea if that's actually the case here in the summer.

**I'm not ready to talk about this yet. But I figure by Saturday I'll either have an ending of or a real beginning to the story, depending on how things go. So maybe I'll talk about it eventually.

No comments: