Saturday, April 12, 2008

Mr. Secretary

My dog gets to be in a magazine! Remember the Vote Basset website that I told you about a few months ago? (It's linked in my sidebar, if you didn't check it out at the time). Well, as a fundraiser for basset hound rescue, my friend who made the site auctioned off positions in Hoss' cabinet. All of the money raised in the auction goes to support one of the regional rescues. I put in a small bid under my dog's name, and he won! My dog is now the Secretary of Commerce! (I decided he needed to apply for that position since the job description called for someone who is well-traveled and good at picking out and receiving gifts, and that's definitely my hound!) Pictures of the "president" and all of his staff and cabinet members will be featured in the June issue of a national magazine for basset hound aficionados. Isn't that cute? I can't wait to see my boy in print! Plus I'm getting a huge kick out of referring to him as the Secretary of Commerce. For the record, the Secretary of Commerce is currently sprawled out on the couch beside me with his head resting on a pillow, like a human. What a goof.

In other news, I got the other job I interviewed for on Monday. So now for four weeks in June and July I will be the assistant director of a camp for middle school and high school students. I am thinking (hoping) it should be a pretty good situation. It's from 8:30 to 4:30 every day and it's on campus so I don't have to figure out a new commute. And they're going to pay me more than double what I'm making as a TA, so I definitely can't complain about that. This now means I'm going to be able to continue working in my actual field for more than half of the summer, and I'm actually getting paid to do so. I feel good about that. Now I just need to figure out what I'm doing for the last six weeks of summer, but I don't think I can really start looking for restaurant work until July anyway. So it's nice to have things lined up for the time being and I'm glad I get to quit doing interviews for a while.

[Insert clever transition here.] I did end up going on a date last night. But I'm still not ready to talk about it yet. Sorry. I don't know why, exactly. I just don't feel like articulating anything yet. Plus I don't want this to get all anticlimactic. I'm so used to things fizzling out (sure, they're usually fizzling out because of a decision to let it fizzle on my part, but still, fizzling out) that I'm afraid a month from now this may prove to have been not worth talking about. I'm just not sure of anything at all yet. All I know is that I keep trying to pick this guy apart, like I do with every guy I date, and so far I can't come up with a reason to stop talking to him. And we already have tentative plans to go out again next weekend. So...yeah.

No comments: