Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Good Try, Kid

Tonight I'm babysitting my friend's almost-four-year-old son. I think he's pretty precocious for being only three. It's not surprising because his mother is bright (unfortunately his father is the world's biggest ass, but that's another story), but it's still funny to watch him approach other children at the playground and say things like "Nice bike you have there!" like a tiny middle aged man.
He was pretty easy to sit for today, since mostly I just had to sit on the couch while he showed me all his "cool stuff." Bedtime, though, was a hassle. I was expecting it because this kid really has no schedule--which would drive me MAD as a parent, but to each her own--but I was still amused by his tactics to delay bed. The following were things he told me during the twenty minute pajama, tooth brushing, story time routine:
"My legs hurt from the scooter."
"I want a Coke."
"I need my Batman."
"I need my camera."
"I'll wait for Mommy to tell me what to do."
"I need a light on in the closet."
"I need to watch some TV because I have a headache."
To each of those my response was either "Going to sleep will help with that," or "No, sorry." I'm totally the mean baby sitter, but I'm okay with that. The kid would seriously be up all night otherwise. Truth be told, I put him to bed an hour ago and I know he's not actually asleep yet. I keep hearing him get up to walk around the bedroom. So far whatever he is doing is quiet, though, so I figure unless it sounds like he's doing something dangerous it's best not to show my face in there and start the litanny of wants and needs rolling again.
Although I did just hear something that sounds suspiciously like coins being emptied out of a piggy bank...maybe it's time to intervene after all.

No comments: