Friday, July 24, 2009

Validation

Remember my entry from last month about the ditzy cashier that accidentally undercharged us by $50? In the past month I have received further proof that she is an idiot:
A) A couple of weeks ago I was in the store one night picking up just a few items and she was in the express lane in front of me buying every single magazine on the rack featuring Michael Jackson. The cashier that was working the express lane looked at her and said, "You realize you just got two of some of those magazines, right?" and the girl said, "I know, that's the point!" Why does anyone need sixteen Michael Jackson tribute magazines? Maybe she thinks they are going to be collectable someday? Ugh. At any rate, it wasn't the buying of Michael Jackson magazines that was the problem so much as the fact that she was in her uniform and clearly supposed to be working at that moment, not buying magazines (maybe she was on a break, but, knowing her, probably not).
B) Last week, Penn and I were at the grocery store and there she was in the pasta aisle stocking shelves from a ride-on wheelchair! You know, one of those Rascal-type things with the cart in front for disabled shoppers. How lazy can you be?! The girl is perfectly capable of standing and walking, and all the other store workers stock shelves using regular grocery carts so it's not like she was doing some sort of standard procedure. As soon as we saw her Penn and I both rolled our eyes and started laughing, and I'm relatively sure she saw us and probably knew we were making fun of her, but I don't really care. She's just so ridiculous. The best part was when we went to check out. As our cashier was ringing us up we saw Ditzy approaching on her motorized cart. I guess one of us must have made a face because our cashier (a quiet, older man who doesn't usually say much of anything) turned around to see what we were looking at and then he said, "Oh, her. Yes, she's not right in the head."* And then he told her to stop wasting the power on the motorized cart.
At least now we have the validation of knowing that her co-workers think she's a moron, too. I have to admit that as much as she annoys me I'm always a little bummed when I go into the store and she's not working. It's like a game now: What Idiotic Thing is Ditzy Cashier Going to Do Today?

*For the record, when he said this I felt bad for a split second because I thought to myself, "Oh no, I can't believe I've been making fun of this mentally disabled woman!" But then I realized that he wasn't saying that she's literally mentally disabled, he was just saying "She's a freakin' idiot," in slightly nicer terms.

No comments: