Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's Snooooowing!

Today has been a nice day. Obligations have just melted away by the minute!

When I woke up this morning it was snowing and sticking. Hooray! This is the first real snow we've had all winter (prior to now we've just had "flurries" and "showers" that didn't stick). Even though the ground was already mostly covered by the time Penn got up for work at 7:15, I didn't get my hopes up that classes would be canceled today. My university is notorious for stubbornly staying open even when basically everything else in the region has shut down. So I got up at 8:00 and ate breakfast, read through a project that a friend is working on since I had agreed to meet with a group of people to discuss it over lunch, did my workout in front of the TV (I love Exercise TV on demand), showered, packed my lunch, and was five minutes away from walking out the door to head to campus when my phone beeped with a text message saying campus had been shut down due to the weather.
Woohoo!!!
Because campus is closed, I got out of the group meeting, a meeting with my advisor, AND my first class of the semester, which was supposed to happen this evening. Good thing it was canceled, too, because I was going to have to scramble through seventy pages of reading this afternoon to prepare for tonight. All of these things will be rescheduled, of course, but it's nice to have an unexpected day's reprieve from returning to school.
Then shortly after classes were canceled Nicole called to let me know that she wants to host a Super Bowl party this weekend. Yesterday friends were trying to convince me to do it since the friends that usually host it aren't at all enthused about the game this year and don't feel like doing it. So I went home and convinced Penn that we should host (even though the guy doesn't really like Super Bowl parties because he actually likes to watch the game and chatty people are too distracting at parties. Actually watch? The game? I've always fallen in the "watch the commercials and eat snacks" camp in the past and usually I don't even know who's playing, but after a season of Football Sundays with Penn, I have to admit that I'm beginning to understand the appeal of actually watching the games. Crazy, huh?) Anyway, it turns out my convincing was all for naught since Nicole has stepped up to take the responsibility off our hands. While I was actually beginning to get into the idea of hosting the party, I was also already getting a bit annoyed with the logistics (Do we order a keg? Am I a bad hostess if I just provide snack stuff and ask everyone to bring their own meat to grill?), so I'm kind of relieved that Nicole took over. I suppose I'll just host a non-dinner party another time.

Anyway, I'm off to eat lunch and leisurely do my reading. Maybe I'll even watch some trash TV to celebrate the fact that I now have nothing to do tonight.

No comments: