Saturday, January 24, 2009

27 Things to Do Before I Turn 27

Look at this, two posts in two days! I'm stocking up a bit since the spring semester starts on Monday and you all know that means I'll be lucky to post once a week here until it's break time again.

So, this is my list of 27 Things to Do Before I Turn 27. Both Briar and Sara have done this on their blogs, so they're my inspiration for making the list. This is quite a bit belated since my birthday was back in November, but I figure 9 months is still plenty of time to make decent headway on a list like this. Also, I realize it might make a bit more sense to do something like 30 before 30 or 50 before 50, but I like a challenge, and I figure anything that doesn't get done this year is either not all that great of an idea after all or can be bumped to next year's list.
I included mostly fun things on this list, things that I want to do but generally don't make a priority when life gets hectic. I did include a few practical and career-related things that I need to try to do, but mostly my thought process as I made the list was, "What new things would I like to try?" So the majority of my list involves things I like: travel, restaurants, and finding ways to be a tourist in my own home. Also, I have to admit I purposely tried to list things that are relatively easy to accomplish. They'll take a bit of effort, but most of them are things that I can accomplish in a single day or even a few hours. I feel like crossing the majority of items off this list is feasible before November, and I did that on purpose because I don't want to look back at this list later and have done nothing. I think if I can accomplish even half the items I'll be satisfied, and I'll have done some fun and interesting things.

With all of that said, here's the list:
  • Get another stamp on my passport
  • Cross at least one more state off my list (only 18 more to go!)
  • Bake a cake that doesn't come from a box
  • Host a get-together of some sort at my condo (although whatever it is, I'm not allowed to call it a "dinner party" because Penn thinks dinner parties are only for old people)
  • Write a book review and submit it to an academic journal
  • Attend one of these events celebrating Edgar Allen Poe's 200th birthday
  • Eat here, here, and here.
  • Teach the Meatball to retrieve beer from the fridge
  • Start some sort of savings account separate from, and more stable than, my stock accounts
  • Really master driving standard so that I feel equally comfortable driving my car or Penn's
  • Attend at least five live productions, not counting concerts (it is shameful how rarely I make time to take advantage of the opportunities to see live theatre/dance/opera on campus and in nearby cities)
  • Find a dentist here and make an appointment to get my teeth professionally cleaned for the first time in, uh, years
  • Take a beach vacation somewhere that is not New Jersey. But also:
  • Visit a boardwalk on the Jersey or Delaware shore when it is actually summertime (I have been to Rehoboth and Ocean City, but both times it was fall or winter so I have yet to actually experience the boardwalk scene)
  • Take my boyfriend to my home state
  • Get caught up on my personal journal project and print and bind the past two years
  • Try at least three types of cuisine that I have never/very rarely tried (Mongolian, Peruvian, Belgian, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Guatemalan, these are all options. In my neighborhood, this shouldn't be too hard to do)
  • Read at least two of the books that made me think, "Oh, that's a classic, I should probably read it," as I was entering Penn's books into our GoodReads library
  • Take a group dance or exercise class
  • Buy a printer
  • Buy a Wii
  • Go to this museum
  • Visit this landmark
  • Also, this one
  • Visit some churches in our neighborhood and try to find one we would like to attend on a regular basis
  • Go to a hockey game
  • Make a list of 28 Things to Do Before I Turn 28

No comments: