Saturday, May 17, 2008

My abs are sore

So to round out the list of things I learned this week for my new job, today I memorized the legal definition of "assault" in the state of Missouri. It sure has been an interesting week around here.

The one thing I have not managed to do is any of my remaining school work. I haven't done anything school-related since Thursday morning, and since I went out with coworkers after work tonight and had two Hefeweizens, I doubt I'm getting anything done tonight either. Thankfully I'm off all day tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to be productive.

Oh, and in other news, Maddi got engaged today!* She and her boyfriend went to look at rings months ago, so she knew he was going to propose eventually but she had no idea when and she definitely wasn't expecting it to happen today. But they're getting ready to move to a new city together so she can start a PhD program, and he got down on his knee and proposed to her as they were exploring her new campus this afternoon. I think that's pretty sweet, sort of a way for her to tie her school life and her personal life together. And I also think it's great that that was the very first thing that happened for them in what will be their new hometown. I'm really excited for her since she's been dating her boyfriend for over three years and they've been through a lot together. I think they've worked through all the issues it's smart to figure out BEFORE you get married, so I really hope things are going to work out well for them.
In other relationship news, my friend Nicole found out yesterday that her boyfriend, who currently lives in England, got the job he applied for here in City A, so he'll be moving here as soon as he can get his visa. She's thrilled that he'll finally be here and the taxing long distance stuff can end. And I'm sure they'll get engaged not long after he's here as well since they've been dating for years and are definitely moving in that direction.
I swear, another year or so from now and I'll be able to count my unmarried friends on just one hand...the balance has really started to tip in favor of the Marrieds in the past couple of years. I'm excited for Maddi and Nic, though. I have two friends here who are going through intense breakups right now (one is getting a divorce, which is a whole different level of sucky that I've never had to watch unfold for a friend before), so it's really nice to have a weekend full of happy relationship news for a change.

*Maddi has no idea when they'll get married but has already asked me to be a bridesmaid. This will be my third time. With two pretty-much-guaranteed bridesmaid positions still coming up in the future (Kiki has already informed me multiple times that she will ask me when the time comes...and it will one of these days...and I sort of assume I'll be one for my sister as well**) I'm wondering what the Guiness World Record is on this bridesmaid thing and whether I should actively start striving for it. That's an interesting Special Skill for a resume, right? "My girlfriends always ask me to be their bridesmaids, which must mean I am calm, organized, handy to have around in stressful situations, and a generally nice person. Hire me!"
**My sister has actually never mentioned wanting me to be a bridesmaid at her hypothetical wedding, but she has mentioned that she's expecting me to provide the flower girl and/or ring bearer. Frankly, I don't know what makes her think that I'm popping out kids before she does. I realize that I'm older than she is, but I'll be hugely surprised if I end up having a baby before my sister does. I wonder how she'd feel about a hound dog in a tuxedo.

No comments: