Friday, May 9, 2008

I've Been Awake for Too Many Hours

Have you ever tasted the low-fat Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt? I ask because I'm eating it right now. It was on sale at my grocery store the last time I went shopping so I ended up buying a couple of cartons. Ben and Jerry's is normally a bit out of my grocery budget so, granted, I haven't had real Ben and Jerry's ice cream in probably over a year and therefore my memory of the ice cream may not be accurate. But I have to say that, to my taste buds at least, the frozen yogurt is just as tasty as the real stuff. I love it when the low-fat option is as good as the regular option. I have found many foods where this is the case. Then again, my mom was always into buying low-fat or fat-free when I was a kid, so it's possible that my tastes were trained from a young age and other people would disagree with me. At any rate, as my friendly tip for the day I will let you know the two items where you should always buy the regular version because the low-fat version is just gross and not worth the calorie savings: soup and cheese. There's really not much flavor to low-fat soups, and low-fat cheese is just vile. Seriously. I thought I'd give another brand of low-fat provolone a try a couple of weeks ago, and it ended up being so nasty I fed the rest of the package to my dog. So there. That's my advice for the day.

On another health-related note, my body is kind of a mess today. I woke up this morning with a sore throat and then a couple of hours later I happened to brush my hand along the side of my neck and I thought, "Hmmm, that kind of hurt," and so I did some more prodding and, well, the fact that my lymph nodes hurt when I touch them is probably not a good sign. Other than the sore throat and the painful nodes I feel completely fine, though. I'm hoping if this turns into anything it will just be a simple cold because while there's never really a good time to be sick, this would be a particularly BAD time what with having to write all of my finals AND start the first of my two summer jobs next week.
I also can't get sick right now because on Monday night I am doing a performance. A performance that involves a whole lot of raving and shouting and then later involves five people lifting me above their heads several times as I simulate swimming (I was one of the two smallest women in the room but the other one was terrified of being dropped on her head while I was like, "You want me to leap off this block into your arms? Sweet!" so I ended up being the flyer). It also includes puppets, a violin, stripping, me wearing a man's bathing suit and the man wearing my bikini, buckets of water poured over people's heads, and plenty of profanity, because for some reason directors find it uncanny when curse words come out of my sweet little innocent-looking face and this now marks the second time in my life where I have been put in a role primarily because someone thought it was funny when I said "Fuck." In case it isn't clear yet, this is very much an exploration of non-traditional performance. I actually think it's going to be really awesome and fun if we can pull it off. Once upon a time I used to spend a fair amount of time on stage (I was a dancer for fourteen years, a very mediocre actor, and an occasional singer) but it has been a long time since I got up in front of an audience to do something other than lecturing. So I'm really looking forward to it. The only problem is that I can already feel how sore my body is going to be tomorrow from three hours of leaping and getting thrown around. And I feel terrible for all of the people that had to spend all night lifting me. I'm betting a lot of people wake up with aching shoulders tomorrow and curse the fact that we were so overzealous about wanting to try it again and again and again. But it was fun for me! If anyone is ever like, "Do you feel comfortable falling backwards into our arms and letting us lift you up into the air and spin you around?" you should definitely say yes. It's pretty exhilarating, especially in the moments where you're wondering just how close you came to being dropped on your face.

It's raining so hard here right now it sounds like a waterfall crashing around my house, and I think it's supposed to be like this all day tomorrow, too. I'm supposed to go to City A to do some research at a library there tomorrow, but I'm thinking I might skip it. It's not totally imperative that I do it this week, and if it's going to be all gross and rainy I think I'd rather just stay in bed and poke my lymph nodes every ten minutes to see if they're still painful.

I definitely have to go out tomorrow night, though, because Nic and I have tickets to see Flight of the Conchords! I've been so busy that I keep forgetting all about the fact that I bought tickets to this concert last month, but it should be a fun way to spend a couple of hours. My brother and I absolutely loved the show on HBO this summer so I'm hoping they'll do an entertaining gig.

Bed time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.