Saturday, February 23, 2008

Disturbing Things I Have Learned in the Past 24 Hours:

1. Did you know that the only real difference between Jello and glue is that Jello has some sugar and flavoring? Otherwise, there's pretty much no difference at all. Jello is made up of the same animal by-products and skins that make up glue. Or so I heard on the radio today, anyway. I came into the program a few seconds into it, so it's possible that they may have been talking about Jello past and not Jello present, but I'm pretty sure that they're talking about modern Jello. And while I sort of knew this already, I never really thought about it before until today. I'm just grateful that I was never a big fan of Jello in the first place. With that said, I'm sure Jello isn't any more disgusting than half of what I eat on a daily basis. The difference is that normally I just don't think much about what I'm eating, but now I can't stop thinking, "Jello! Cow hooves! Skin!" And now you can enjoy that appetizing thought as well. You're welcome.

2. I talked to Roomie for a couple of hours last night. I'd called her to ask her a question about shoes for the wedding and the next thing I know two hours had gone by. That's how it is with us. At one point I asked her whether or not she is going to wear a veil and she said she is and then she said, "Do you know why brides wear veils?" and I said, "No, I never thought about it before," and she told me that someone told her that back in the medieval days (I don't know what country's medieval days we were talking about) the bride and her bridesmaids all wore matching dresses, and the only thing that distinguished the bride was her veil. She wore the veil to cover her face so that demons couldn't give her the evil eye and curse her on her wedding day, and the bridesmaids wore matching dresses so that the demons would get confused and give the evil eye to the bridesmaids instead. I was like, "Wait, so I get to absorb all the ojo* on your wedding day?" and she said, "Yes!" and I said, "Awesome!" Glad to know that I'll be soaking up the evil spirits. Anything for my Roomie!

3. My dog is capable of eating an entire McDonald's hamburger in less than ten seconds. It's his third birthday today so we took a Car Ride! to McDonald's to get him a hamburger. He ate the meat first, then the bun, and he managed to eat the entire thing in the time I was opening a ketchup packet. I love my dog.

*Maddi and I love joking about giving people the ojo. Her mom is one of those cute old Mexican women who goes around touching babies because she's afraid that if she stares admiringly at them without touching them it will curse them. So it started out as kind of a good-natured joke about her mom, but now we like to tease each other about giving people the evil eye. The best was one time Maddi sent me a text message while I was driving, so I flipped my phone up to read it and it said, "I'm sad that you had to leave today, so I'm sending you the ojo via text message." I laughed so hard I almost ran off the road, which I guess means it worked.

1 comment:

Kandi said...

I heard that the bridesmaids wore the same dress as the bride so that kidnappers wouldn't know which one was the bride. Never heard this theory before... and never knew about the veil.