Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Actual Conversation I Just Had With a Bank Representative

This is copied and pasted from a conversation I just had with a representative from my bank (that will not be named, because she DID eventually solve my problem). SO ABSURD:


R: Hello. Thank you for being a valued customer. My name is R and I'm delighted to assist you with your online access. To begin with, may I have your full name and zip code please?
You: Full Name and zipcode
R: Thank you, A
R: How may I assist you today?
You: I'd like to log in to view my credit card account but I can't remember my username
R: I understand that you are trying to access your credit card online and forgot the user name.
R: I would be happy to assist you with your Online Banking after a successful verification.
R: Please give me some time to locate your profile.
You: okay, thanks
R: You're Welcome!
R: A, thank you for your patience.
R: Could you please provide the last four digits of the card that you are trying to view ?
You: there are two of them
You: [number]
You: the other is [number]
R: Thank you.
R: Could you please provide me the exact name as printed on the card?
You: [Full name]
R: I have tried with that name and could not locate your profile.
R: Is there any other zip code for you?
You: i used to be [maiden name]
You: and the zip used to be [old zip]
You: but on both of these cards now it's [married name], and the zip should be [current zip]
R: Thank you for the information.
R: To protect the security of your accounts may I please ask you a few questions to verify?
You: yes
R: Thank you for giving me the permission to verify you.
R: Could you please confirm the credit limit on your credit card ending with ####?
You: i don't know it off the top of my head
R: That's alright! I can ask you another question.
R: Could you please confirm the current balance on the card ####?
You: it should be really low
You: under $50
R: Please provide the exact amount.
You: i don't know
You: that's why i am trying to log in online
You: so i can see how much is currently charged on each card
R: That's alright! I can ask you another question.
R: Could you please confirm the date and the amount of your last payment on your credit card ####?
You: probably about six months ago
You: i hadn't used it in a long time until i just used it the other day
You: hence why i have forgotten my login name to be able to view the information about it online
R: That's alright! I can ask you another question.
R: Please provide the last charge transaction on your credit card ####? please provide the amount and date.
You: you don't understand, i can't answer any of these questions because i don't have a billing statement right now
You: and i can't log in to my account online
You: i'd be happy to answer any of my security questions
You: mother's maiden name, stuff like that
You: but i don't know any details of the card right now, that's exactly why i am trying to log in
R: I can understand your situation. However, we do not have access to your security questions as they are confidential.
You: is there anything you can ask me to verify that doesn't have to do with amounts charged or paid on the card?
You: as i said, i haven't used it in a really long time
You: not since february of 20111
R: Could you please provide the credit card number and zip code?

At that point I was like "YES!" and she finally started asking me questions I could actually answer about the credit card number and expiration date and stuff like that. Seriously, was that a ridiculous conversation or what? If I'm trying to log in and view information about my account online, doesn't it make sense that I wouldn't know the information off the top of my head?!

Ugh.

Well, that was a fun detour this morning. Back to the dissertation.

No comments: