Sunday, February 27, 2011

Damn It

I just wrote a really long post about my great, relaxing weekend organizing the house (we finally finished exchanging duplicates to get all of the things we wanted from our registry and I've been loving snuggling up in our new bedding and filling and labeling magnetic spice tins that stick to the fridge and make finding the spices I need so easy I can't believe I was rooting through spice cabinets for all this time, I wasted so many minutes of my life) and playing "Weed or Good Plant?" in the back yard.
And after I typed up the whole thing, it just disappeared. Blargh. I guess the summary is:
-I love my spice tins and all of our wedding gifts, really, and feel like our house is designed to my liking for the time being.
-I spent an hour today picking up sticks from the backyard and putting them into an enormous kindling pile (we have a ridiculous number of trees [9, I think, and that's just the backyard] and it has been a windy winter).
-Penn and I found two garden hoses that had basically become a part of the ivy that covers 1/3rd of our yard. I got them out of the ivy. That was FUN.
-There are so many plants in the yard. I can't wait to see what they are when everything starts blooming. Today I cleaned all of the dead leaves out of the eight flower pots/planters that Penn and I found in the yard when we moved in. I thought I'd plant herbs in them in a few weeks, but it turns out half of them already have plants beginning to grow in them. One looks like a rose plant and most of the others look like they may be tomato plants. I know nothing at all about gardening and always assumed I'd have a black thumb if given the opportunity to take a shot at it, but the internet seems to have a bunch of information on growing plants and I'd like to try. I'll be researching low-maintenance plants and flowers if you need me. I did plant some bulbs when we moved into the house in November and I'm thrilled that my daffodils are starting to come up. I hope they actually flower!
-I'm finally beginning to feel like we're getting the house to a place where we'll be satisfying just doing basic maintenance for a while rather than major overhauls. The inside feels complete for the time being, and the yard is getting there. Penn spent the day laying mulch in the backyard, which goes a long way toward making the riot of plants back there look intentional rather than just crazy. Home projects are never done, but I think...I hope...we're almost finished making weekly trips to Home Depot. Yay
-Now let's hope tomorrow's predicted severe weather doesn't screw up all our hard work.

No comments: