Thursday, December 30, 2010

30 Things to Do Before I Turn 30

As I mentioned last year, I've decided to make a list of 30 things to do before my 30th birthday this year. I won't turn 30 until November of 2012, but I just think it makes more sense to do these lists in larger increments as I get older. Either that or I would eventually have to start filling the lists with complete minutiae. By the time I got to a "60 Things to Do Before I Turn 60" list I'd have to be accomplishing more than one task per week, and that's just ridiculous. So I have made the executive decision that the working list for the next two years is 30 Things to Do Before I Turn 30.
I found it challenging to make this year's list, mostly because of item number two. I have a feeling that becoming a parent will change my priorities entirely, so I can think of plenty of things I would like to do now but I imagine that I may laugh at this list in two years, when I anticipate life will be very different. We'll see!
Here's the list:

1. Finish the PhD (I try to leave major must-dos off this list and limit it to things I would just like to do for fun or because they will make my life easier/better, but I'm putting this one on the list because it is my #1 priority over the next couple of years.)
2. Become a parent (Actually, this one might be my #1 priority...honestly, it's sort of a toss-up. I feel like the pending occurrence of #2 will lead to the forced accomplishment of #1. I hope so, anyway, or else I'm terrified that task #1 will fall by the wayside. Not so terrified that I'm willing to put off attempting to become a parent until I've finished the dissertation, though, because ultimately my biological clock trumps all other considerations since that's the one thing I really can't control at all. I'm 28, my husband-to-be wants an entire hockey team of children, it's time to get crackin'. [Note: I am NOT on board with the hockey team idea...and I think he's joking...mostly...])
3. Convince myself that it's okay not to write a full-fledged journal entry every day. Notes of highlights and lists are better than nothing when life is busy. Print and bind the past four (wow) years of journal entries.
4. See at least ten live productions (concerts, plays, etc.)
5. "The unwillingness to give a hearing to contradictory viewpoints, or to imagine that one might learn anything from an ideological or cultural opponent, represents a departure from the best side of American popular and elite intellectual traditions."-Susan Jacoby. In the spirit of this quote, I'm going to attempt to read--with an open mind--something I'm inclined to disagree with. And I'm going to try to find at least one part of the book that I can agree with. (Yes, this was on last year's list but I really do think this is important, so I put it on the list again.)
6. Figure out a way to store my pictures that is organized and allows for easy viewing but isn't completely dependent on Facebook. (This and the next few items are things I didn't get around to last year but would still like to try to accomplish.)
7. Go on a 20+ mile-long bike ride.
8. Finish a Seasonal Reading Challenge on Goodreads. (This may be impossible, but I want to keep trying!)
9. Visit Monticello.
10. Take the Meatball to a local basset hound event.
11. Take a trip to Las Vegas with Penn.
12. Watch a Supreme Court hearing.
13. Take advantage of Restaurant Week and try at least one well-reviewed, trendy restaurant that I normally wouldn't be able to afford.
14. On a similar note, try at least 15 bars/restaurants that I have never been to before (restaurants tried on vacation when I have no choice but to try new places don't count).
15. Take a trip to Pittsburgh and see Penn's college campus.
16. Go to the local fish market.
17. Adopt a second dog.
18. Ski Taos or Telluride with Penn.
19. Get the fireplace repaired so that we can enjoy the fireplace in our den.
20. Get new chairs for the living room.
21. Remodel the pink bathroom (or at the very least paint the untiled portions of the wall a color other than their current peachy-pink).
22. Cross at least one new country off my list.
23. Cross at least one new state off my list.
24. Get myself a football jersey so I can fit in when we support Penn's favorite football team at the bar.
25. Obtain a membership to the neighborhood pool. (Apparently only 300 families can belong to the pool at one time, so basically I have to wait for someone to die or decide to sell a membership).
26. Buy or otherwise acquire three pieces of actual art for my home. (Real art, not something mass-produced)
27. Throw a party in my backyard.
28. Buy a four-door car.
29. Plant a small vegetable and/or herb garden in the backyard and attempt to grow some of my own produce.
30. Make the list of 35 Things to Do Before I'm 35.

No comments: