Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mama

Penn: So I guess there should be a mother/son dance at the wedding since you're doing the father/daughter dance?
Me: Yeah, probably.
Penn: I think my mom would like that.
Me: So what will you dance to?
Penn: I don't know. The DJ sent me a list of songs people use often but they're all really cheesy and terrible. And I don't want to dance to a love song with my mom.
Me: Well, the song I'm dancing to with my dad is probably intended to be a love song.*
Penn: But it's not too cheesy, and parts of it could be about a daughter.
Me: Do you have any songs you remember dancing to with your mom when you were little? Or songs she sang to you?
Penn: No, not really.
Me: Or a song that is particularly meaningful or symbolic to you?
Penn: I guess we could dance to Little Drummer Boy.

He wasn't kidding! He was being completely sincere. "Come, they told me, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum." How would you possibly dance to that? Oh, I love Penn. A couple of nights later we were back on the subject again, and this time he said, "I was thinking that we could dance to Bohemian Rhapsody since it stars with 'Mama,' but then I realized the next words are 'Just killed a man.' So that won't work."

I suppose the first step of this decision-making process should be to teach Penn what constitutes a good song for partner dancing, huh?

*The Way You Look Tonight, the Michael Buble version. Oddly enough, that was the first song that popped into my head when I was thinking about dancing with my dad at the wedding (we used to dance to it sometimes when I was little). I figured we'd do the Frank Sinatra standard, but I hadn't run the idea by him yet. Then couple of months ago he text messaged me out of the blue and said he thought the Michael Buble song would be perfect, and so that's that!

No comments: