Thursday, April 8, 2010

Best Wedding Ever

The other night my sister and I were texting cross-country while watching The Sound of Music on TV [Incidentally, I love text messaging. I talk to at least one of my family members pretty much every day via text message, and it's the main way we communicate. I'm the perfect combination of too lazy+too busy to pick up the phone to have a lengthy conversation, even with people I really love, so if it weren't for text messages I am pretty sure I'd only talk to my parents once every couple of weeks and my sister and brother maybe every few months.]

Anyway, as I was watching the second half of the movie I was suddenly inspired and had to text message my sister with my brilliant idea:
Me: I'm going to make Penn sing this song with me at the wedding!
My Sister: Which song? Climb Every Mountain?
Me: No, the one that the Captain and Maria sing together at the gazebo. "For here you are standing there loving me, whether or not you should..."That one.
My Sister: Oh, that one works!
Me: I'm also gonna wear a super-long tulle veil like Maria's.
My Sister: You'd better not! I'm going to sing "So long, farewell..." to everyone at the end of the reception.
Me: Yes!!
My Sister: The whole wedding party can do it! We'll be the birds and the boys will stand in front.
Me: And Penn's nieces and nephews can all wear matching uniforms and march around to a whistle!
My Sister: Perfect!

The whistle was totally Penn's suggestion, by the way. I told him that I wanted to change our wedding theme to "The Sound of Music" and he said "NO WAY" but then when I told him all of the ideas so far he said, "And I'll blow a whistle and the kids can march around." So, I'm pretty sure this means he secretly supports the plan. He just has to put up a manly front.
I'm fairly certain my sister-in-law-to-be will get on board with this plan, as Penn has assured me that she is a big fan of The Sound of Music (who ISN'T a big fan of The Sound of Music? It's amazing!). Plus it beats the other two plans my family members suggested so far, which were a) Jersey-style hair and bridesmaid dresses with revealing cutouts and b) my mother and her girlfriends wearing their old wedding dresses only "Madonna-ing them up."

In all seriousness, the wedding doesn't really have a theme. So far it's just a hodgepodge of things we like that I'm trying to pull together into some sort of unifying concept. Right now the concept (which exists only in my head at this point) involves mostly books and trees and candles and winter. Books and trees are vaguely related, I suppose. Add candles to the mix and it gets sort of, um, dangerous, what with all that paper and wood around, but I'm sure there's a way to do it. And "winter" is mostly just apparent in my color choices and the fact that I want to have a hot chocolate bar and it isn't actually a "theme" per se. I mean, I don't think there are going to be glitter snowflakes all over the place. I have no idea how (or if) it will all come together.

But now that I'm considering throwing all my ideas out in favor of a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical-themed wedding, it may be a moot point.

1 comment:

brabantbound said...

totally on-board with the whistle thing :)