Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Stuff and Nonsense

Penn is back from Europe and I'm very happy that he's home. I drove to his place on Sunday night and we celebrated his return by pretty much not getting out of bed until 6:30 on Tuesday morning when we both had to go to work.
Okay, okay, that's sort of an exaggeration. He did have to go to work for a few hours on Monday and I did go grocery shopping and walk my dog while he was gone, but then he came home and was like, "Do you want to go out tonight?" and I was like, "I don't care, do you?" and I looked at him and he looked at me and we didn't say anything else, we just got back into bed. Ha.
Not that we were banging like rabbits that entire time, although I'd forgotten how fun it is at the beginning of a relationship to want each other so much that staying up all night seems like a good idea. I've said before that I don't like the beginning of relationships, but I take that back. I forgot that I like the beginning of good relationships, and this one is definitely having a good beginning.
There's just no awkwardness. We even had the whole, "I'll show you my relationship baggage if you show me yours" conversation the other night, and I thought it went pretty well. Basically, it seems like we've made our way through the same relationship phases and are more or less on the same page. So no skeletons in the closet there, which is a relief.
All in all it was a good couple of nights. I'm happy (and still a little scared) to say I'm liking him more all the time. We talk so easily about everything, he seems genuinely interested in my life and I am genuinely interested in his...he runs his fingers through my hair as I'm falling asleep...we go for walks by the river near his apartment and he holds the dog leash in one hand and my hand in the other and man, if that isn't the most cheesy, cute thing ever...he brought me back a pair of earrings from Greece and a wrap shirt he picked out in the Netherlands and I was pretty surprised because not only has no guy ever been bold enough to buy me clothes or jewelry before (I think it's risky to buy clothes for someone, especially so early in a relationship, don't you?) but I actually really like both of the things he picked out and will wear them regularly (I was teasing him and asking him how he knew what size to get and he said, "Well, I figure you're about the same size as the mannequins." Ha!)
And he makes me laugh, which is so important. Like the other night we were cuddled up in bed and he goes, "So I was thinking about Raising Arizona the other day and it made me think of you," and I was mentally wondering where on earth he was going to go with that statement and how on earth he was going to turn a comment about Raising Arizona into something that was going to make me want to kiss him, except that it totally worked! That's some mad pillow talk skills, my friend. Because I love me some Raising Arizona, but babies and convicts aren't exactly sexy material, you know? Then I was going to do his grocery shopping on Monday (because he'd unplugged his fridge before he left so he literally had no food in the house and because what else am I going to do all day long while he's at work and because I'm a nice girlfriend sometimes) so he left some money and his keys on the nightstand as he was leaving for work and I was like, "Wait, what do you want from the grocery store?" and he said, "Meat." And I said, "No, seriously, what do you want?" and he said, "Meat. A lot of frozen meat." Apparently I'm dating a caveman.
The caveman is probably going to meet some of my friends tomorrow since he's coming down to stay with me for the night and one of my friends is having a going away party since she's leaving for the summer. It's the first time I'll introduce him to anyone I know. I'm excited about it because I want my friends to meet this person that I've been blabbing about for the past two months, but I'm also a little nervous about it because while we'd all like to say we don't care what our friends think about our significant others, I know it's going to bug me a little if they don't approve. I can't think of a reason why they won't like him, though.

Anyway, I have to go. I need to sleep because I may or may not have a meeting at 9:30 tomorrow morning. I honestly have no idea, my life is very disorganized right now. I have a flurry of saved e-mails talking about possible meeting dates and times and the last one says 9:30 on the 5th but doesn't say anything about meeting place and it's not from my actual boss, it's from one of my colleagues saying, "This should work for all of us, lets run it by the boss." So yeah, I don't know what the heck that is all about.
Then I have to go to work all day. Hopefully it won't be as eventful as today, where we lost 45 minutes of work time while we all hunkered down in a lounge in the basement during a series of tornado warnings. Fun times.

No comments: